Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Area Man

Here's another one I don't speak about much because it gives rise to conflicting emotions.

When my mother passed away, it was because she had written in her will, "........no feeding tubes, no life support.". Eventually, the Azheimers had reached the point where she could no longer eat on her own. We respected her wishes and within a week, she was gone.

Are we murderers?

When my father passed at 91, it was due to a broken heart. The doctors said there was no physical reason why he couldn't live to see 100. But, he told us he wanted to be "....wherever she is.". So, he started refusing medication and, eventually, food. The tough old coot would become angry, shout or even throw things at people if ANYONE even broached the subject of him eating or taking his medication. Regardless, it took him nearly two months to go after he made up his mind.

Were we "murderers" because we didn't knock him out and force a feeding tube down his throat?

Dave
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Here's another one I don't speak about much because it gives rise to conflicting emotions.

When my mother passed away, it was because she had written in her will, "........no feeding tubes, no life support.". Eventually, the Azheimers had reached the point where she could no longer eat on her own. We respected her wishes and within a week, she was gone.

Are we murderers?

When my father passed at 91, it was due to a broken heart. The doctors said there was no physical reason why he couldn't live to see 100. But, he told us he wanted to be "....wherever she is.". So, he started refusing medication and, eventually, food. The tough old coot would become angry, shout or even throw things at people if ANYONE even broached the subject of him eating or taking his medication. Regardless, it took him nearly two months to go after he made up his mind.

Were we "murderers" because we didn't knock him out and force a feeding tube down his throat?

Dave
Dave I am Sorry you Choose to use what I said and take it to mean what you interpret it to.Sir I would hope You would have done it this way as an Adult I would hope You would be able to extract it for what it was but it seems you want to villafie me.that is fine but I think You know what I meant by that statement.Everyones own Personal Life Is a Matter Of endearment to them and their Loved Ones ,Do you think I would whant to bring a Bad conatation to the memory of your Parents.No I dont.My Sister Blew Her Brains out in '95 so Yes I have Lost too as Well as a brother and My Parents.You I would again Hope had taken my Statement about "Assisted suicide" In context.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Area Man

I'm not trying to "vilify" you or anyone else, Cleon. Just asking questions and putting my own experiences out there for consideration by all.

No harm intended my friend.

Dave
Old 12-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'm not trying to "vilify" you or anyone else, Cleon. Just asking questions and putting my own experiences out there for consideration by all.

No harm intended my friend.

Dave
Ok well that is the power of comunication.you cleared it up as did I about what I said.we sometimes take things the wrong way I know I do a lot.but at least I can say it when I do And I can say the same for You.I am gonna go and enjoy some music,they just allowed spotify to be free on mobile and tablets if you have an account Yea!! I have a Lot of respect for you Dave.As i do every one here.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Area Man

Another point to ponder;

Religious "Right to Life", folks. When they try to intervene and "Save a Life" a la Terry Schaivo. Is it really about the individual in question, or is it about them?

I ask because I have been told that "......a society that tolerates sin is just as guilty as the sinner."

So, are they really trying to "Save a Life"? Or are they afraid THEY will be punished by the Almighty if they don't act?

Is it charity or is it self-interest?

Dave
Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
Ok well that is the power of comunication.you cleared it up as did I about what I said.we sometimes take things the wrong way I know I do a lot.but at least I can say it when I do And I can say the same for You.I am gonna go and enjoy some music,they just allowed spotify to be free on mobile and tablets if you have an account Yea!! I have a Lot of respect for you Dave.As i do every one here.
Thanks! And, likewise, Cleon.

Dave
Old 12-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Bluestreak.... For what it's worth, I think the whole life and death thing is simply a gamble regardless of which side of the coin you go with.

Be consoled knowing that your decision was motivated by what you felt was best and rooted in love.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
True fact. Most pet owners I know would rather put down a relative than their pet.
True dat, and our ex DIL is high on the list.