Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Admin

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

... the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I guess we should chisel these words off the Statue of Liberty now.

Thanks Trump.

"The Trump administration is considering a plan to weed out would-be immigrants who are likely to require public assistance, as well as to deport — when possible — immigrants already living in the United States who depend on taxpayer help, according to a draft executive order obtained by The Washington Post." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.b330fd8d9992
Old 01-31-2017, 02:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Give me your hungry, your tired, your poor I'll piss on 'em
That's what the Statue of Bigotry says
Your poor huddled masses
Let's club 'em to death
And get it over with and just dump 'em on the boulevard.

- Lou Reed, Dirty Boulevard
Old 01-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
... the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
At the time that was written in 1883 the population of the US was about 50 million.

It now stands at well over 300 million.

Let's use a sports analogy.

The stadium that the super bowl will be played in has a capacity of about 72,000. At what point is it reasonable to stop selling tickets?

I don't think it's right to target certain groups, but I'm thinking maybe it's time to shut the damn gate on everybody.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 01-31-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post

"The Trump administration is considering a plan to weed out would-be immigrants who are likely to require public assistance, as well as to deport — when possible — immigrants already living in the United States who depend on taxpayer help, according to a draft executive order obtained by The Washington Post." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.b330fd8d9992
So, what are you mad about here Bob? That we actually have someone in the White House who might actually enforce immigration law? Or are you mad that you, Finn, WaPo the left are the only ones who think that requiring immigrants to be self sufficient might somehow be "news"?

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 (also known as the Hart–Celler Act) says, "Any alien who, in the opinion of the consular officer at the time of application for a visa, or in the opinion of the Attorney general at the time of application for admission or adjustment of status, is likely at any time to become a public charge is inadmissible." This provision was intended to screen out immigrants likely to become a burden on the American taxpayer.

So, its already the law of the land, Bob. Or are you just bitchin' 'cuz its Trump that wants to enforce the law?
Old 01-31-2017, 03:24 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

So, what are you mad about here Bob? That we actually have someone in the White House who might actually enforce immigration law? Or are you mad that you, Finn, WaPo the left are the only ones who think that requiring immigrants to be self sufficient might somehow be "news"?
You'd think after his latest EO debacle, your Trumpenfuhrer would pursue a solution with Congressional and cabinet input, gather information, have hearings/debate, and put in the form of a law. Doing this stuff by EO will only result in him screwing things up worse than they are now. You'd think your Trumpenfuhrer would realize how clueless he, Bannon and Miller are in the ways of governance and building consensus. You may like a clueless authoritarian. I'm not so impressed.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:29 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
You'd think after his latest EO debacle, your Trumpenfuhrer would pursue a solution with Congressional and cabinet input, gather information, have hearings/debate, and put in the form of a law. Doing this stuff by EO will only result in him screwing things up worse than they are now. You'd think your Trumpenfuhrer would realize how clueless he, Bannon and Miller are in the ways of governance and building consensus. You may like a clueless authoritarian. I'm not so impressed.
He's taking the Pistol Pete Maravich approach.

So what if you miss over half your shots?

Just hog the ball and keep putting it up there and you'll still score a lot of points.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

Just hog the ball and keep putting it up there and you'll still score a lot of points.
Except to shoot like Pistol Pete (or Carmelo) one requires very large hands and Trump has tiny hands.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

So, its already the law of the land, Bob. Or are you just bitchin' 'cuz its Trump that wants to enforce the law?
Indeed.
A citizen has to vouch for someone applying for a permanent residency by signing an affidavit of support.

Even so, if it is deemed that the applicant will likely become a charge of the state then the application is rejected.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

And make a lot of enemies on your own team. FWIW, Pistol Pete came from the same hometown of my best buddy (Aliquippa, PA) when I lived in New Orleans and Maravich played there for the NO Jazz. I met him a couple of times and he was very much a prick.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:39 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Except to shoot like Pistol Pete (or Carmelo) one requires very large hands and Trump has tiny hands.
Trump does have small hands.