Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
. . . .Unfortunately, good fresh food isn't yet mainstream in the US.
And I have to believe that a good bit of that is the saturation advertising of that crap they sell at Mc/Wend/Bur/KFC/you-name-it.

The affordability issue is not an inconsequential one. We buy locally produced here because we can afford to. Not everyone has that luxury.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

During summer we have a Farmer's Market five minutes up the road andall year we have Good Earth 10 miles down the road. The problem with the super markets is the truckers. When they are bringing produce from California they do not always run the A/C unit on the trailer. That saves them gas, but when you buy "fresh" produce at the super market you had best eat it in the parking lot as it may not last until you get it home.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
During summer we have a Farmer's Market five minutes up the road andall year we have Good Earth 10 miles down the road. The problem with the super markets is the truckers. When they are bringing produce from California they do not always run the A/C unit on the trailer. That saves them gas, but when you buy "fresh" produce at the super market you had best eat it in the parking lot as it may not last until you get it home.
Yep, we had fresh sweet corn on the cob last night and blueberry muffins this morning using some of the ingredients my wife bought at our local farmer's market yesterday morning. Just about every Saturday morning she, or we, head down there and it's great sticking our money back in the local economy. Win, win....

Indy
Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Where I am currently residing is not conducive to growing anything edible. One of the reasons I don't plan on staying long
Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Where I am currently residing is not conducive to growing anything edible. One of the reasons I don't plan on staying long
It might be. Check out what Yuma, Az. is doing...http://www.ag.arizona.edu/crops/coun...a/agstats.html
Yuma has probably doubled in veggy production since this was written.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 AM

Lived in Europe myself a few years back (Sardinia) and no question the local approach most defniitely has its appeal.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

I'm lucky enough to have a farmer just up the road from me that raises hogs among other things. He butchers several times a year and provides his neighbors with FRESH pork. The difference in flavor is remarkable. He also has fresh eggs available. The color and flavor there is also not even in the same ballpark.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Resident octogenarian

The only thing I have against the Prius is why did they make it so bloody ugly, was it designed by Hyundai?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The only thing I have against the Prius is why did they make it so bloody ugly, was it designed by Hyundai?
Actually, I find some of the newer Hyundai and KIA models to be pretty attractive in a highly "sculptural" way, far better looking than the Prius. The quality has gotten to be pretty damn good too.

John
Old 07-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Actually, I find some of the newer Hyundai and KIA models to be pretty attractive in a highly "sculptural" way, far better looking than the Prius. The quality has gotten to be pretty damn good too.

John
I agree, Hyundai makes some of the best looking and best running cars around with one of if not the best warranty in the car game.

Rob, If you've not driven the Hyundai Genesis then you do not know what you are missing. The Impalas will be up for sale once you do.......