Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM

OK I NEED HELP,I want to understand this Affordable care thing in a nut shell in a laymans terms,I can understand,I just had a severe wakup call on this matter ,no I am not affected but I was made aware by another member How bad healthcare insurance in America Is.so Can Some one with a bit of patience help me understand both sides of this thing.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:27 PM

I will read all the articles in this thread too,gotta go for now wife will be home soon I had a blackout so i need to get my bearnings and get the evening going.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Area Man

I checked out Obamacare as well. Currently, my employer pays the lions share of my premiums of which I pay $23/mo. Obamacare can't beat that. That being said, if I were to lose that coverage and had to get my own;

Out of network, I'm looking at ~$900/mo. just for me, outside of the ACA, which is roughly what my employer pays. From the Healthcare.gov site, I would pay ~$460/mo., nearly HALF as much.

So, is it better? For me, at the moment-No. But, I can easily see how it could be a much better deal for others.....and me, should my current situation change.

Dave
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM

iT IS JUST UNTHINKABLE OOPS,I have been thinking all this time that affordable healthcare was not really that bad,well it goes by circumstances also,but for most it seems to be a Nightmare.I dont see how someone can afford the premiums and still be able to buy Groceries and other day to day essentials.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 PM

it seems without knowing that much about it yet ,that the majority will be in over there heads with the premiums set up like they are.It doesnt seem Logical How could this become a plan for people it is taking more and not showing a cridit for what it is taking at least a tax break.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 PM

The three couples I know who needed coverage. Two went through the state exchanges and one told me they have saved 3.5K so far this year. The other owns his business and is also saving money and now has a much better plan. They both were happy except for the startup problems with finding Doctors.

The third couple refused to even look at anything to do with the ACA, AKA Obama care. Re upped their old plan.

Just remembered another couple they did nothing and still have zero insurance. Have no clue of what to do.

Barney
Old 05-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The three couples I know who needed coverage. Two went through the state exchanges and one told me they have saved 3.5K so far this year. The other owns his business and is also saving money and now has a much better plan. They both were happy except for the startup problems with finding Doctors.

The third couple refused to even look at anything to do with the ACA, AKA Obama care. Re upped their old plan.

Just remembered another couple they did nothing and still have zero insurance. Have no clue of what to do.

Barney

That kinda goes back to what i said about the individual having a lot to do with the outcome of were they are on this.Something this new and unproven probally needs lots of research before droping a dime.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:51 PM

I was just floored initialy though with Tom Joads reply on another thead,that is terrible rates.

Quote:
I've checked.

There is nothing better for the coverage I get.

Like I said it's BCBS PPO, the group plan I had when I was working. When I retired they let me stay on it, but I have to foot the bill for the whole premium less a $200 a month subsidy. The Premium on that sucker is $1036.90 a month for the two of us, and that's with me on Medicare.

Shit where have you been?

The average cost of a decent family plan is $16,000 a year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...ly-f6C10960584

Sure you can get cheaper shit insurance, but all that entitles you to is a form letter from the insurance company stating why they aren't going to pay any of your bills. Who needs that?

I might be able to do better once my wife turns 65 and we can both be on Medicare. I'll check it out then, but that's four years away.

In the meantime though I have to keep this. If I go off it and into a medicare advantage plan my wife, as a spouse, gets kicked off of the Group BCBS PPO Plan.

I'm telling you Dude, if you want good coverage, you gotta pay thru the ass for it.

It's the American Way.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM

If on Medicare a supplemental would be an alternative. Medicare will be primary with any plan in that case.

Yes the ACA does have a cap on the subsidy for a family. This year one guesses at the earnings for next year. If hi get more if less you will owe a back payment on premiums.

On the problem stated the ACA in the state of residence probably had a plan as good or better. Just would need to check and see. BCBS might of even had one. My wife's company is putting all the retirees into the exchanges next year so they will be needing to navigate the system. At their ages having to figure out insurance coverage. Stinks but gotta keep feeding the beast! I wanted single payer, medicare for all!

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 05-27-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
I was just floored initialy though with Tom Joads reply on another thead,that is terrible rates.

The way I read it, the company is the one gauging on premiums. The government did not say what to charge for an employees plan. But will be taxed as income soon. The ACA insurance price is a separate issue. The company wants to drop the retirees so make them pay through the nose.