Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Most of our laws are devoid of logic. If we overturn Roe v Wade they will still take place, in back alleys under less than optimal conditions, just as it was before.

I admire the decision that you and your wife made but you made it, no one else made it for you. Given the care I am certain you provide it is well that she has siblings who will be there for her.
Thanks for that. By the way, the thought process that goes along with your last sentence above is filled with various scenarios that keep her mom and I awake on many nights...
Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
In addition to my above quote... (from a woman's point of view) In all of my 54 years of marriage...not once did we go to our bed with the idea of making a baby. But...we were blessed with three.
In my first marriage we did quite often but it was not to be. I had rather hoped I could have blamed it all on me, but her doctor found what he thought could be remedied by surgery. I remember him turning to me and asking if I agreed - damned male chauvinist. I told him he was asking the wrong person, all I had to do was pay his bill, she would be the one going under the knife. Well it did not work and of course ruined all chance of me saying it was my fault. It really is no one's fault though, you play the hand you are dealt.

In truth we need more sex education wherever it happens. The number of myths about how you can avoid pregnancy that float around the streets are legion. A sixteen year old today would be lucky to get a paper route, never mind support a wife and child. Why nature starts the hormones after the starting the brain is quite strange.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Area Man

Quote:
As far as what happens to the mother and child after an unwanted birth... it seems to me that in today's society there is room to take care of them both, either together or separately. If we can take care of people with mental problems, people with criminal problems, people with drug abuse problems we ought to be able to find a way to help these people also. I am in no way equating mothers and babies with any of the above except in the fact that they have a need and we should be able to meet it.

Gentlemen...what role should the FATHER of the child play in this matter?
A father should own up to his responsibility and care and nurture his child. Together with the mother or apart. A child should not be a government pocket book issue. Taking responsibility for ones actions is falling by the wayside in society today.
Perhaps if we could accomplish the paternal responsibility role...the question of abortion would be less prevalent...indeed remote. Just saying...
I agree with one caveat.....How do we go about "making" someone be responsible? We already have "deadbeat dad" laws, yet dead beat dads persist. They existed before Roe v. Wade.

Not disagreeing with you.....Just saying.....

Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I agree with one caveat.....How do we go about "making" someone be responsible? We already have "deadbeat dad" laws, yet dead beat dads persist. They existed before Roe v. Wade.

Dave
sarah is responsible, she gave birth at 45
Old 04-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
sarah is responsible, she gave birth at 45
Sarah is living proof that there's no such thing as "too dumb to breed."
Old 04-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Dave

Thats a good point! However it is not up to "we" to make others responsible. It's difficult enough for whole (married) families to handle the pressures within.
And setting an example...does not always work.
Sex is now recreational. Back in the day (sorry) it went hand in hand with love (in most cases).
All you have to do really...is look to the TV programs and music to see where the kids minds are and how society is changing. Adults should care...but sex and violence sells.
As for abortion...I do not judge. That's a decision between a woman (hopefully the baby's father) and their doctor.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Sex is now recreational. Back in the day (sorry) it went hand in hand with love (in most cases).
I'll need to ask Sally Hemings about that.

Weren't the 60's know for "free love?" Don't let the lame TV programming like Ozzie and Harriett fool ya. And in the '70's when I came of carousing age, sex wasn't always about commitment either.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

Weren't the 60's know for "free love?" Don't let the lame TV programming like Ozzie and Harriett fool ya. And in the '70's when I came of carousing age, sex wasn't always about commitment either.
According to my 97 year-old Aunt Lucille the 1920s and '30s weren't exactly as puritanical as the promoters of the "Good ol' Days" mindset would have us believe either. Heck, the twenties were pretty much "free-for-all" party times, from what I hear.

I tend to believe the one constant in this world is human nature. Sex was just as much fun fifty years ago as it was two thousand years ago and is today. Some people have morals and a strong will, some people don't.

As the Great Yogi Berra said, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-10-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

We could go back as far as the bible and find scenarios of adultery and prostitution rape,incest and "free love". I was comparing my generation (the fifties) to the present. There will always be exceptions to the norm in any generation. I'm seventy-two..and remember well " Woodstock".
However...that era was about the feel good, experimenting "me" generation.
Now we come to the consequences of actions regarding innocents.

No pit bull attitude on this end. Just making an opinion.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
We could go back as far as the bible and find scenarios of adultery and prostitution rape,incest and "free love". I was comparing my generation (the fifties) to the present. There will always be exceptions to the norm in any generation. I'm seventy-two..and remember well " Woodstock".
However...that era was about the feel good, experimenting "me" generation.
Now we come to the consequences of actions regarding innocents.

No pit bull attitude on this end. Just making an opinion.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm with Bluestreak on this one. I'm generally of the opinion that wistfulness for the good old days has a lot to do with one's desire to be young again (coupled with a failing memory).