Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Loyal Opposition

Expanded my vocabulary again

I had not heard of this acronym, but it's been around for awhile - IOKIYAR. It's OK if you're a Republican. The most recent use has been comparing the media coverage of Charlie Rangel and John Ensign. Rangel has been charged with improper fundraising. Ensign has been charged with a felony. The Ensign scandal gets little coverage, while Rangel's troubles are front page news.

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madr...dia-coverage-c

IOKYAR also apparently applies if you misrepresent your military service in the course of a campaign.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 08-03-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Area Man

Never heard of it before either, and could have used it.

Had a recent discussion about Ted Nugents new book. I have never read it, but a friend had and was going on about what a Badass Great American Ted is. I asked if Nugent had ever "served in the military, or is he just another chickenhawk A-hole that only shoots at things that don't shoot back, selling books and concert tickets to teabaggers?"
He told me that, in the book, Nugent describes a situation where he "wanted badly to serve, but when the draft board called him up to go to Vietnam, they took one look at his long haired, hippy, dirt bag appearance and declared him 4F." What a bullshit story? As if the US Army doesn't know what clippers are for? No, by that time he was hitting the big time with the Amboy Dukes, and the allure of immense wealth overcame his desire to die for God and Country in some shithole Vietnamese rice paddy is what happened. If he really wanted to go fight in 'Nam, he could have just gotten a haircut and hit the recruiting station anytime the fancy moved him.

But, anyhow, this is where I could have used IOKIYAR.

Dave
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 PM

"He told me that, in the book, Nugent describes a situation where he "wanted badly to serve, but when the draft board called him up to go to Vietnam, they took one look at his long haired, hippy, dirt bag appearance and declared him 4F.""
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i know of a few thousand other guys who wished that had happened to them.

come to think of it, i was one of them. the draft boards loved us!

whenever i now think of how i used to like nugents music back in the '70s, i cringe in disgust.

Last edited by westgate; 08-03-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post
"He told me that, in the book, Nugent describes a situation where he "wanted badly to serve, but when the draft board called him up to go to Vietnam, they took one look at his long haired, hippy, dirt bag appearance and declared him 4F.""
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whenever i now think of how i used to like nugents music back in the '70s, i cringe in disgust.
He would probably shoot the Great White Buffalo.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Nugent gives us hunters, and bowhunters in particular, a bad name. He is to music what Dennis Miller has become to comedy.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Nugent gives us hunters, and bowhunters in particular, a bad name. He is to music what Dennis Miller has become to comedy.
I suppose that, to be fair and balanced, we should mention what Keith Olberman has become to sports anchors.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

You mean, all hunters don't play the national anthem Hendrix style on the roof of their zebra stripe Bronco in the woods?

Hehehe. The beast is dead. Long live the beast.

Pete
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Nugent's a little over the top to suit me.

But he's never been a advocate of dope ( wish I could say the same), was/is a deputy, lives by his own gospel, and is fond of saying, "I'm only a guitar player."

Methinks the only problem you lib's have with him is his message.

BTW, I never really cared for most of his music, even when I was a headbanger.

Chas
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Area Man

Oh, I love his music and I even admire the USO work he does. Nor do I care that he hunts or champions gun ownership.

What does bug me is that he's another one of these phonies like Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Cheney, to name a few, who like to wrap themselves in the flag and go on about how everyone (else) should be willing to fight when they avoided military service themselves. And paint their opposition as "draft dodgers" or cowards on top of it, even when those individuals did serve. That takes one hell of a nerve, in my book. As a veteran this is one of my pet peeves. It just reeks of "We should support the troops, 'cuz they do what we never would." I guess IOKIYAR...........?

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-04-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Oh, I love his music and I even admire the USO work he does. Nor do I care that he hunts or champions gun ownership.

What does bug me is that he's another one of these phonies like Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Cheney, to name a few, who like to wrap themselves in the flag and go on about how everyone (else) should be willing to fight when they avoided military service themselves. And paint their opposition as "draft dodgers" or cowards on top of it, even when those individuals did serve. That takes one hell of a nerve, in my book. As a veteran this is one of my pet peeves. It just reeks of "We should support the troops, 'cuz they do what we never would." I guess IOKIYAR...........?

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Dave
this is probably closer to the way i feel about him than what i wrote in my other post on the subject.

i'm not always able to get my thoughts and feelings 'on paper', as it were.

thanks. (veteran here also)

Last edited by westgate; 08-04-2010 at 09:09 AM.