Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
How does this quote from Stack's web posting strike ya?

"It has always been a myth that people have stopped dying for their freedom in this country. But I also know that by not adding my body to the count, I insure nothing will change."

He sounds like a real "Patriot."
hmm, i would guess that if, to him, 'financial freedom' is the only important freedom, then he gave his life for a good (to him) cause.

and it may be that he's had the word 'freedom' pounded into his head way too many times by the usual flag wrapped characters.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:46 PM

can't wait to hear what beck, orally, and sean 'the whiner' hannity have to say about it.

or should i say, spin it.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
He's a nut, all right. But he sounds more like a left wing nut than a right wing nut.

Chas
You are a fisherman, aren't you?

John
Old 02-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Abby Normal

The right is the side that is encouraging this kind of behavior.

Can't deny that.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
You are a fisherman, aren't you?

John
Been known to drown a worm.

Besides, I just read his piece. He said he hated the church, Bush, corporations, had a real sundry list of things he hated. I got the impression that he blamed everything he didn't like on Bush and the corporations. He never mentioned the tea partys, Rush, Faux News, or anything like that.

He's just a nut. And the best I could tell, he was a tax cheat. And didn't like getting caught.

Ya gotta pay them taxes, or bad things are gonna happen to you.

I pay mine.

Chas
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Abby Normal

As if it was not obvious, the Texas pilot who flew a plane into a building was a member of the Texas Tea Party 'Patriots'.

Fox and Sarah must be very proud.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
The right is the side that is encouraging this kind of behavior.

Can't deny that.
It's pretty clear, though, that the anger is not just directed at institutions identified with the left or "big government", i.e. the IRS. He also railed against the huge corporations, and the bailout of them, which, in truth, belongs to both the right and the left (although the right didn't want to bail out big corporations that have large unionized workforces).

People, including those not aligned with any particular political movement, seem to be feeling anger at things that are so much larger than themselves, things which seem to magnify a feeling that they have no control over their own lives. To me that is not an illogical anger, although it has been expressed in illogical ways.

I tend to feel anger, or disgust, toward corporations. I can't just say American Corporations, though, because some corporations have grown so large that they are beyond the reach of the law of any particular country. They seek the benefit of the laws (for example, by patenting genomes), but transfer other activity to more forgiving locales when the law of one particular jurisdiction doesn't favor them (and they can't buy a change).

Other individuals, obviously, focus their anger on the government. Senator Bayh certainly reflected the anger that many Americans must feel toward both political parties for their inability to move forward with governing. The incumbency has always had great power, but I have a feeling that it will be an albatross this year.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
As if it was not obvious, the Texas pilot who flew a plane into a building was a member of the Texas Tea Party 'Patriots'.

Fox and Sarah must be very proud.
Where did you get your information? I can't find it anywhere.

Chas
Old 02-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Been known to drown a worm.

Besides, I just read his piece. He said he hated the church, Bush, corporations, had a real sundry list of things he hated. I got the impression that he blamed everything he didn't like on Bush and the corporations. He never mentioned the tea partys, Rush, Faux News, or anything like that.

He's just a nut. And the best I could tell, he was a tax cheat. And didn't like getting caught.

Ya gotta pay them taxes, or bad things are gonna happen to you.

I pay mine.

Chas
Yes, well he hated the Catholic church. He was a really, really fringe right winger, anti-tax anti government type who believed that he was being taxed but not represented because the gummint wasn't catering to his particular set of whacked out beliefs.

But he was a Teabagger and a member of some anti-tax group. This is exactly the kind of guy that a demagogue like Beck pushes over the edge.

But of course, Beck will say that he had nothing to do with it.

John
Old 02-18-2010, 04:48 PM

Well, I don't know the guy. He did write:

"We are further brainwashed to believe that there is freedom in this place, and that we should be ready to lay our lives down for the noble principals represented by its founding fathers. Remember? One of these was 'no taxation without representation'."

I don't think it's too far a leap to say he holds at least some views in common with the Tea Party folks. To be fair, he did spend a bit of time talking about health care, which you could call a "liberal" cause, though I didn't see that he was endorsing any particular solution to the problem. Could very well have been one of those 'we all agree something needs to be done' guys.