Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post

i teach at a public high school where corporal punishment is practiced. .
I am surprised to learn that this is still done.
I even did an INTERNET search and found a chart which shows which states allow this.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...h_graphic.html

It seems to loosely follow the red state/blue state political map.

I have always prided myself on not being a big mouth tough guy but if a teacher ever hit my kid I am sure I would react in a manner that would not be positive.

I am curious, how do you tell a parent that the school decided to hit their kid?
And, how do the parents and child react?

When I was in high school we got hit. Even had a classmate have his noise broken. I don't see how it changed anything for the positive.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 PM

Yes, some don't like how things are done down south, but hey, they don't have to move here either. Folks also move here and complain about prayer in public school also, but just today I spent two hours in our public school, and one kid said opening prayer, and an hour later another kid said the closing prayer. Grades 6,7 and 8 was in the gym and when the speaker asked how many had been in this school all their life and started kendergarden there, all but three hands came up in the seated crowd. If the folks didn't like it here, there'd been very few hands raised.

Last year we had this one rotten teacher that took things to far, but she's history. Her sour ass is at home where it should be. I don't believe in beating a kid, or bustin' their asses for sneezing without permission, or sending a kid home for two weeks because she thought every boy should keep their hair above ear level. But yes, when my son 'needed' his but busted, I had no problem with that. I still don't if he was to do something that deserves being punished. I read the rules and punishment forms and signed them before signing him up for kendergarden 10 years ago. Forms were still the same when I signed my daughter up for kendergarden as well. While still in kendergarden, they'll call and ask the parent if the kid is being bratty, but once in first grade, they'll swing that paddle, and the higher the grade, the harder they swing. My daughter has had the paddle once about a year ago. Thats not bad for 8 years in school there. My son had several last year because she didn't like his hair, even suspended him because we didn't force him to cut it, but me and that teacher had problems and she no longer teaches. Theres a difference between deserved punishment and abuse.

Last edited by hillbilly; 05-19-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Yes, some don't like how things are done down south, but hey, they don't have to move here either. Folks also move here and complain about prayer in public school also, but just today I spent two hours in our public school, and one kid said opening prayer, and an hour later another kid said the closing prayer. Grades 6,7 and 8 was in the gym and when the speaker asked how many had been in this school all their life and started kendergarden there, all but three hands came up in the seated crowd. If the folks didn't like it here, there'd been very few hands raised.

A couple of things in your post "strike" me.

But first, I have a question.
What kind of prayer is said in school?
Is it christian based?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I have always prided myself on not being a big mouth tough guy but if a teacher ever hit my kid I am sure I would react in a manner that would not be positive.

I am curious, how do you tell a parent that the school decided to hit their kid?
And, how do the parents and child react?
parents in our district sign a consent form at the start of the year when the child is registered. they may elect to not allow their children to be paddled. most parents do not choose that option. accepting corporal punishment means that the child does not spend a day in "in school" suspension or "out of school" suspension, which would result in that child missing valuable instruction time. many of the students also prefer to be paddled over the other options. by accepting corporal punishment, they are immune from the disciplinary action going on their record, which can preclude them from certain privileges such as being allowed out of uniform the last week of school.

as a child, i received corporal punishment one time at school. i did not deserve the paddling i got. i was sucker punched by another student and received 10 licks for it. i never threw a punch. even though i did not deserve the punishment, i'm glad that i had the opportunity to get an education in a school where discipline was tight. the students at my alma mater were well behaved, respectful towards adults, respectful as adults, and are far better off for having been beaten a time or two when we got out of line.

i did not grow up to be mean or violent. nor did i grow up with a general disregard for rules and a complete lack of respect and manners as many children now who do not receive corporal punishment. i'm sorry, but spare the rod spoil the child is very true.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
parents in our district sign a consent form at the start of the year when the child is registered. they may elect to not allow their children to be paddled. most parents do not choose that option. accepting corporal punishment means that the child does not spend a day in "in school" suspension or "out of school" suspension, which would result in that child missing valuable instruction time. many of the students also prefer to be paddled over the other options. by accepting corporal punishment, they are immune from the disciplinary action going on their record, which can preclude them from certain privileges such as being allowed out of uniform the last week of school.

as a child, i received corporal punishment one time at school. i did not deserve the paddling i got. i was sucker punched by another student and received 10 licks for it. i never threw a punch. even though i did not deserve the punishment, i'm glad that i had the opportunity to get an education in a school where discipline was tight. the students at my alma mater were well behaved, respectful towards adults, respectful as adults, and are far better off for having been beaten a time or two when we got out of line.

i did not grow up to be mean or violent. nor did i grow up with a general disregard for rules and a complete lack of respect and manners as many children now who do not receive corporal punishment. i'm sorry, but spare the rod spoil the child is very true.
thanks for the explanation. Seems the school for some reason wants to be able to paddle kids as the penalties are way worse for the same infraction if you don't submit.
I find this "option" system inappropriate and it makes me wonder if it could possible stand up in court. Has it been challenged?
Why for the same offense (if I understand correctly) would you be educationally penalized and have a "black mark" on your record if you won't submit to a physical assault. The infraction was the same!
It seems a result of a system where the majority felt that whacking the kids was preferable and then begrudgingly added an option that they did not want people to choose.

I find this an interesting topic as it typifies the cultural divide in this country which is reflected in politics. Look at the link I gave where corporal punishment is still allowed. It is very similar to a red state, blue state map. Maybe the debate should be about the system that allows laws that divide to exist.

I think we can agree that when immigrants come here we feel that they should assimilate into "our" culture and not us into theirs. So then why is it that when laws invoke change we do not all change together? Maybe we allow for to much societal individualism?

I sure don't have the answer but I will say that the divided house we live in is not a good thing.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM

I vividly recall one parent teacher conference in grade school. I sat wide eyed as my mother gave my teacher permission to slap me upside the head if I gave her any more grief. I was pretty good after that

My neighborhood operated pretty much the same. Every parent in a 10 block perimeter knew each other and all the kids. Although we tried our best, you couldn't get away with much. I was grabbed by the scruff of the neck by more than one parent that knew me by name that I was not familiar with. If you made it through the gauntlet of observant parents and back for dinner unscathed, it was a 50/50 that my parents had heard about the events of my day through the grapevine. That went for all of us and we knew it

I could go on for pages about how I feel about our schools losing control and the reasons for it but I'll spare you.

RC
Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post

I could go on for pages about how I feel about our schools losing control and the reasons for it but I'll spare you.

RC

Can you give us a paragraph or two on this? I would be interested.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Can you give us a paragraph or two on this? I would be interested.

No paragraph(s). Not in the mood.

*No discipline in the home.
*Parents who feel that becoming friends with their kids is more important than parenting.
*No consequences for their behavior that is meaningful.
*An education system that has tied it’s own hands.
*The result of 20+ years in the advancement of the “Mystery”. The chickens have come home to roost.

RC
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
I vividly recall one parent teacher conference in grade school. I sat wide eyed as my mother gave my teacher permission to slap me upside the head if I gave her any more grief. I was pretty good after that

My neighborhood operated pretty much the same. Every parent in a 10 block perimeter knew each other and all the kids. Although we tried our best, you couldn't get away with much. I was grabbed by the scruff of the neck by more than one parent that knew me by name that I was not familiar with. If you made it through the gauntlet of observant parents and back for dinner unscathed, it was a 50/50 that my parents had heard about the events of my day through the grapevine. That went for all of us and we knew it

RC

Sounds like you and I grew up in the same neighborhood.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM

Spoiled kids are raising spoiled kids. They dont respect their parents because
there are no consequences for their actions. They grow up with no respect
for authority which leads to problems down the road. When I was in school,
paddlings were frequent and usually delivered to the same rotten few who
had questionable home envirnoments. Parents need to practice responsibility
and be better role models and kids need to be punished when out of line and
not just grounded for a half day. I say bring back the paddling board and lets start
with a few parents.