Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I'd like to get the test, anyone know how muck one cost?

My maternal side goes back to France in the late 1500's IIRC some Mi'kmaq mixed in once the settled in the New World. Fathers side early 1800's immigrants to PA., one side German the other English.

BTW the wife's 100% German ancestry, but Father was raised by an Irish couple after adopted. We are a blended society are we not?

Barney
Yes we are. Heinz 57 Varieties here- German, Dutch, French, Irish and a little black going back to Charlemagne. Vive le difference!

I found one outfit for genome testing for only $99 https://www.23andme.com/?utm_source=...FUHhQgodNFIAhQ

Last edited by bobabode; 11-17-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 AM

when i was younger and more full of vinegar ,I would mark Human beign in the space were it asked for race.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Resident octogenarian

If you do enough genealogical research I can guarantee that you will find ancestors you would rather not acknowledge. The big problem is that the governments really did not start keeping records before about 1700. So in my case it means that either I hire a researcher ($$$$) to check the Bishops Registers in Lincolnshire or go there myself. Now the Catholic church did a great job of keeping records and many have been transcribed so tracing Florence's ancestors back to Spain was easier. Hopefully yje Chorch of Latter Day Saits will get the records I need transcribed.

Transcribing these records is hard work, you have to deal with handwriting that is either terrible or so overly fancy as to be eqaully indecipherable. I did it for the LDS Church for a bit but failing eyesight ended that.

Still working with cousins that I have yet to meet face to face we have well over 10,000 names in our collective family tree. There are people with my surname all across this continent. All the ones in Canada and west of the Mississippi are family or cousins. The ones east of the river are mainly from Cheshire and do not appear to be related.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
when i was younger and more full of vinegar ,I would mark Human beign in the space were it asked for race.
Makes me think of when I filled out forms back in my youth , where it said SEX I wrote Hell yes.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Makes me think of when I filled out forms back in my youth , where it said SEX I wrote Hell yes.
yes Sir ,I was going to mention that good one Rob.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Yes we are. Heinz 57 Varieties here- German, Dutch, French, Irish and a little black going back to Charlemagne.
We have a lot in common. My father's side is German and Dutch. My mom's side is French and Irish. Family rumors that there's some Native American mixed in as well. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some African in there too, though if there is, it didn't provide me with any rhythm or skin tone.
By the way, does anyone notice in their families that personality traits from the father tend to go to the first child, and those of the mother are more prevalent in the last child?
My eldest sibling is just like my Dad (and stereotypical of Germans)- very intelligent, very stubborn, and reserved (I guess that's the Dutch part).
I'm the youngest, and just like Mom- outgoing, love to joke and party, tend to take chances/gamble.

It's tough to be around my Dad's side. They are so severe it's hard to carry on a conversation. They answer a question in a word or two, and they're done.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 11-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
That's classic, no class of course.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
...you'll never know what will fall out.

http://thegrio.com/2013/11/12/white-...percent-black/
I would have expected this guy to get himself tested first before making a BIG noise. His eyes are probably brown.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
That's classic, no class of course.
Well Rajoo except for women named Michael and men named Beverly it really is a useless question to put on forms.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Resident octogenarian

Dad was born in Nottinghampshire Mom in Montreal but she did live in Oxfordshire with her parents when they went back for a period. But it was mainly Lincolnshire and Oxfordshire for both families.

However on Mom's side there was a surname of Auger and everyone pronounced like the tool for drilling hole, yet it may well have been of French origin

Last edited by merrylander; 11-18-2013 at 06:46 AM.