Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 AM

Debt Fight Meaning

I found this over at:
http://reason.com/archives/2011/07/2...-crazy-or-just

I wonder how many voters actually understand what the debt battle actually entails. I thought this was straight forward without all the obfuscation and FUD of the parties.

Quote:
At this point it might be useful to clarify precisely what the dispute concerns. The question is not whether the federal government should grow. As Reason's Nick Gillespie pointed out a few days ago, nearly nobody in Washington has actually proposed shrinking the leviathan. To the contrary, the dispute is whether to raise federal spending from the current $3.8 trillion to $4.7 trillion over the next decade (the Paul Ryan plan)—or to $5.7 trillion (the Obama plan).
Bear in mind that those increases would come on top of one of the fastest expansions of federal spending in U.S. history. When President Obama took office, the budget stood at $2.9 trillion. Two. Point. Nine.

Spending has risen 30 percent in the past three years. It is quite a feat to grow federal spending faster than the Bush administration: Under Bush, domestic discretionary spending rose faster than at any time since the Lyndon Johnson administration.

If Bush floored the accelerator, then Obama lit the afterburners. And nobody in Washington (except Sen. Rand Paul and perhaps Sen. Tom Coburn) has suggested applying the brakes. For the most part, the cuts being discussed are reductions in the rate of future growth. What does that mean? This: (a) your rent is $10,000 this year; (b) you thought you were going to spend $15,000 next year; but (c) you've decided to spend only $12,000—therefore, (d) you've "cut" your housing expenses by $3,000.

Last edited by bhunter; 07-28-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Reason Mag is a constant companion.. But they got something wrong there.

Obama's name shouldn't be on his Nobel Prize and it shouldn't be on the growing deficit.. He actually has not LED very much at all on ANY budget or legislative initiative.

Those big chunks of indebtedness should have Pelosi/Reid all over them..

In fact, they ought to dig a huge hole in the Washington Mall and build an inverted phallic structure INTO the hole to honor this historical feat.. The stairs leading down to the memorial could be dedicated to GW Bush.. With that famous quote about "sacrificing free market principles in order to save them"

Think we could take up a private fund for this memorial??

Last edited by flacaltenn; 07-28-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I found this over at:
http://reason.com/archives/2011/07/2...-crazy-or-just

I wonder how many voters actually understand what the debt battle actually entails. I thought this was straight forward without all the obfuscation and FUD of the parties.
Like the Libertarians used to say, "One Party wants to do it to you in four years, the other wants to take six."

Now you Libs can cuss the Teabaggers all you want, but they're the ONLY ones out there who are making noises to the effect of fundamentally changing the nature of things.

Maybe they're only Memorex, and they want to take eight years. And maybe they're not ready for prime time.

But why not let a little fresh air into the room?

Unless you're pleased with the current status quo.

Chas
Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Like the Libertarians used to say, "One Party wants to do it to you in four years, the other wants to take six."

Now you Libs can cuss the Teabaggers all you want, but they're the ONLY ones out there who are making noises to the effect of fundamentally changing the nature of things.
I trust Libertarians to take apart the govt/corporate collusion part. I'm not sure I can trust these new Tea people to kill the blood supply between the two..

I also trust Libertarians to concentrate on Defense of this country and to extricate us from all these "non-wars" where we bomb and deny "a war exists". Not clear the Tea folks are gonna be coherent on this one either..

But the Tea Party hasn't been tested as much as Libertarians either. They just piggy-back on the Repub. Party while we have to sweat money and blood just to make it onto the ballot in 50 states every election cycle.. Most folks have no idea how hard it is to do that. And if the Tea Party had that challenge every couple years, to exist as a legal recognized party, they'd be too tired to pull up their tights..
Old 07-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
Reason Mag is a constant companion.. But they got something wrong there.

Obama's name shouldn't be on his Nobel Prize and it shouldn't be on the growing deficit.. He actually has not LED very much at all on ANY budget or legislative initiative.

Those big chunks of indebtedness should have Pelosi/Reid all over them..

In fact, they ought to dig a huge hole in the Washington Mall and build an inverted phallic structure INTO the hole to honor this historical feat.. Think we could take up a private fund for this memorial??
Come on, Obama only won a Nobel.

Now Big Al won not only a Nobel, but an Oscar for his movie.

Now maybe he plagiarized part of the footage from "The Morning After", or whatever that shithead movie was that was about the two fisted college professor who crossed 1,000 miles of snow covered wasteland on snowshoes, with temperatures which would freeze liquid nitrogen, to save a handful of college kids, along with a nigger with a plastic bag on his head, while they happened to be burning books at a university just to keep from freezing.

The best part was the guy who kinda looked like Chainey who was practically on his knees thanking the Presidente of Mexico for kindly allowing what was left of our population to emigrate to his country after we had destroyed ours through global warming.

I laughed, I cried. Just kidding....basically I just cussed a lot.

Mindless drivel for bucktoothed cretins. Kinda like the Nobel has become.

Now ask me what I really think,

Chas
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Chas,
We can all disagree and all state our opinons. But please refrain from using any deragotry racial slures. You are above that.

I find the deragotroy slures to be extremely rude and offensive.

Mark
Old 07-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Bhunter,
That was an intersting quote. I knew some of what you posted, but I didn't quite internalize it until now.

So, even if they quit bickering and come to a deal, we asre all still screwed.

If that is the case, I think it is best we go into full default, things blow up. Maybe the american people will wake up and replace the clowns with real statesmen.

So, how did we actually get this bad?

I looked up the 2011 budget and could see the budget chart, but how did it grow to its size? If it got this much bigger, then where has all the extra expenditure gone.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
I trust Libertarians to take apart the govt/corporate collusion part. I'm not sure I can trust these new Tea people to kill the blood supply between the two..

I also trust Libertarians to concentrate on Defense of this country and to extricate us from all these "non-wars" where we bomb and deny "a war exists". Not clear the Tea folks are gonna be coherent on this one either..

But the Tea Party hasn't been tested as much as Libertarians either. They just piggy-back on the Repub. Party while we have to sweat money and blood just to make it onto the ballot in 50 states every election cycle.. Most folks have no idea how hard it is to do that. And if the Tea Party had that challenge every couple years, to exist as a legal recognized party, they'd be too tired to pull up their tights..
I can appreciate you concerns.

I assume you're a registered, or at least active Libertarian?

Good for you, I've got you covered, Officer!!!

Now the really smart guys told me that all you Libertarians care about is legalizing pot...but I don't hold that again ya.

And I don't hold nuttin' again th' Baggers.

But I do understand that once you define your opponent into a one dimensional entity, AKA the strawman, and people buy it...you can demonize them at your leisure.

Now if I'm correct in my assumption that you are a Libertarian, surely you can appreciate what I'm saying.

Chas
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Chas,
We can all disagree and all state our opinons. But please refrain from using any deragotry racial slures. You are above that.

I find the deragotroy slures to be extremely rude and offensive.

Mark
I used to work at the joint. Missouri State Penitentiary, 82-84. The worst of the worst.

Perhaps I'm living in the past, but the "N" word could be used as a term of affection, humor, benign, rude, or a personal insult.

I have never used it as a personal insult.

Have you ever been around any black people?

They're not nearly as uptight as you think.

And I'm not politically correct.

Chas
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM

I have been around many black people. Maybe Denver is a different culture.

Even so, I find this use of deragotry words to be representaion of the level of respect you have for the people you are addressing.

I would never talk that way in front of my mother, my father, my kids or wife.

I wouldn't talk this way in front of my friends.

I respectfully ask you to refrain from using this kind of language.

Cuss all you want, no problems there. But deragatory slures about race or disability is something I cannot stomach.

Thank you,
Mark