Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
What puzzles me is why people like you choose to get upset over a guy silently taking a knee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
It's about whatever you want it to be about since you don't like it? You're not the one kneeling, so you DON'T get to decide what it's about.
For folks like Finn and Pots who still haven't figured out what this is really all about (and, because they can't figure it our, they resort to their usual rants), looks like the NFL owners are starting to see the light.

NFL Owners Reportedly Taking Serious Notice Of Falling TV Ratings

BOSTON (CBS) — For most of the 2016 season, the NFL largely blamed the U.S. presidential election for a decline in TV ratings. But with the league’s numbers down another 7.5 percent so far in 2017, amid a growing backlash to players’ national anthem protests, the owners are finally taking the ratings decline seriously.

Due to the ratings figures and the owners’ reaction to them, Breer deduced that recent comments made by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones – which threatened to punish players who do not stand during the national anthem – were actually meant to connect with disgruntled TV viewers, those who are deciding to tune out the NFL in response to players’ decisions to kneel or otherwise protest during the anthem.

...more...

Twenty-five of 31 NFL teams (excluding the Chargers) are experiencing local declines in ratings, including an 8 percent drop for the Patriots, 7 percent for the Cowboys, and 6 percent for the Steelers.

The figures presented to the owners on Tuesday and Wednesday are one of the biggest signs yet that the NFL is losing viewers at a rate that goes beyond simple cord-cutting, or even a diminished on-field product. That owners chose to take serious notice of the ratings drop this week, during a meeting that was supposed to be about giving the players a chance to address social issues and their related protests, speaks volumes about how the ongoing controversy is affecting their viewership.

Now, those kind of numbers are significant. And if you think that the folk who - as Finn put it - are "people like me", you're fooling yourselves. You might want to rethink this.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Since Roy Moore has declared that by not standing for the National Anthem the players are breaking the law, the owners should call the local constabulary to arrest those SOB's.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
For folks like Finn and Pots who still haven't figured out what this is really all about (and, because they can't figure it our, they resort to their usual rants), looks like the NFL owners are starting to see the light...
Now, those kind of numbers are significant. And if you think that the folk who - as Finn put it - are "people like me", you're fooling yourselves. You might want to rethink this.
I recognize full well that millions of Americans have allowed themselves to be manipulated by an amoral, narcissistic buffoon. My question to you was why you (and those like you) allow yourself to be so cynically manipulated by such an obvious con.

As for the NFL, Hall-of-Famer Steve Young attributed the NFL's sagging viewership to have come from three factors - millennials being more interested in fantasy football than allegiance to their closest team, the CTE problem/cover-up, and the anthem protests. Personally, I could care less about the NFL's viewership numbers. As long as New England, Dallas and Pittsburgh suffer the worst, I'm OK with it.

Last edited by finnbow; 10-19-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 PM

Yup, civil rights should be all about the money.
Birthright patriots cozy in their white privelege are what that's all about.

Last edited by Pio1980; 10-19-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Since Roy Moore has declared that by not standing for the National Anthem the players are breaking the law, the owners should call the local constabulary to arrest those SOB's.
Authoritarians are so cute. 'Law and order' are interchangeable! Anything that strikes them as disorderly is of course illegal!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
As long as New England, Dallas and Pittsburgh suffer the worst, I'm OK with it.
Please add the 49'er to that list despite their lack of wins.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I recognize full well that millions of Americans have allowed themselves to be manipulated by an amoral, narcissistic buffoon. My question to you was why you (and those like you) allow yourself to be so cynically manipulated by such an obvious con.
Your question is idiotic, and I think you're the one being conned. Trump wasn't president when CK first sat down, then later took a knee, during the anthem, and fans' negative reactions were loud and clear back then. To suggest that this is all a con perpetuated by Trump is at best naive, and at worst disingenuous.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Your question is idiotic, and I think you're the one being conned. Trump wasn't president when CK first sat down, then later took a knee, during the anthem, and fans' negative reactions were loud and clear back then. To suggest that this is all a con perpetuated by Trump is at best naive, and at worst disingenuous.
Trump is a con - period. And his speech in Huntsville, AL, during which he called the handful of kneeling players SOB's and called for their firing, was indeed an attempt to manipulate lemmings like you. My whole point is that you're simply too unaware to realize it.

Last edited by finnbow; 10-20-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
You are an incredibly stupid fool. What will you do when your Dear Leader is tossed in the Pen where he belongs? Wake up, idiot!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:46 AM

12 days after the killing of US troops in Niger, nary a tweet about it from Whell’s idiot leader. Plenty of NFL tweets, however, whipping his idiot base, including fools like Whell, into “patriotic“ fury. Then he totally screws up a phone call to a grieving mother. Even GW Bush has found it necessary to (rather eloquently) speak out against this abomination of a “leader”