Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Alaska 1st, 1st, 1st..... AND.... nobody can touch us on the beautiful aspect.... AND.... we only have 2 seasons- spring, and winter.
A mild climate was also one of the criteria, That lets Alaska out and it also lets the Hill Country out. Its summers are among the hottest in Texas and its winters among the coldest.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Colorado Springs is pretty much smack dab in the middle. Southern Colorado starts sort of south of the Arkansas River and Pueblo. There ain't a hell of a lot down there except for Trinidad on the Eastern Slope and Durango on the Western Slope.

I lived in the Springs in the '70s. It was a hippified cow town then and very cool for a hippie cowboy as I was back then. It's pretty right wing these days. Too much retired Air Force. I don't think I'd fit in any more.

John
Yup, and Pueblo would be my first stop.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
A mild climate was also one of the criteria, its winters among the coldest.
Grumpy is leaving MI. I'm thinking a Texas winter is not an issue.

S.E. Az. is great IMO. Summers are warm, but the Monsoon is awesome down there. Not sure about the schools.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If you could move to any state in the US where would it be. My requirements would be in no particular order.

Low taxes
Moderate year round temperatures
Good, safe schools
Friendly folks
Reasonably priced housing

Lets hear your suggestions please.

Thanks
Grumpy

Good luck finding Eldorado!

The mix of choices to choose from, work against each other. Low Taxes and a moderate climate are a magnet for people to relocate. So home prices and cost of living would seem to be higher.

Most public school systems are funded by property taxes, so if values or rate are low will be under funded.

As to friendly folks or safe schools, I've found after my travels across this country very few strangers, yes even in NYC or Bean Town! As to safe schools resent events should show no location is really safe.

Will tell you more about SFO/OAK if a few weeks. O forgot cost of living and Taxes!!! Has the climate and schools, guess there will be trade offs.

But I can say the couple of friends who moved to East Tenn wished they had done it sooner.

Barney
Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

But I can say the couple of friends who moved to East Tenn wished they had done it sooner.

Barney
Lake front property may get to be extremely affordable here soon.

http://www.tva.com/boonedrawdown/

TVA says they may have it fixed in a year. Other people say it may be as long as four years.

It used to be 50 feet to the water from my house. Now it is more like 150 yards!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Lake front property may get to be extremely affordable here soon.

http://www.tva.com/boonedrawdown/

TVA says they may have it fixed in a year. Other people say it may be as long as four years.

It used to be 50 feet to the water from my house. Now it is more like 150 yards!
They bought Chalet's in the Pigeon Forge area in the 70's. Rented them for years until deciding to retire there. Moved down to the Sevierville area.

I like the area also.

Barney
Old 04-17-2015, 09:36 AM
reflexionar

Oregon has no sales tax. Washington has no income tax. Property isn't really that expensive unless you need to be in an urban area. The farther you get from a metro area the cheaper the land gets, for obvious reasons. There are four seasons, but the rain can get to you on the west side. Not the best place for those prone to depression. It gets better as you go south. I really like central Oregon and eastern Washington. Will probably head over there within the next 5 years. I still need the income provided from Portland for the time being. One of the great things about living here is that you can be in just about any climate you can imagine in less than a couple hours. Mountains, the coast, plains, Willamette valley, or high desert.
Politically, the metro areas hold the most liberal of the left and the east sides have the most conservative of the right. Oregon and Washington should have been split down the Cascades instead of along the Columbia.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:16 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
They bought Chalet's in the Pigeon Forge area in the 70's. Rented them for years until deciding to retire there. Moved down to the Sevierville area.

I like the area also.

Barney
Beautiful country if you can avoid the tourists.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I like the area also.

Barney
Wondered about that name. Does it mean they are known for wrought iron pigeons or for counterfeit pigeons?

Always been one of my fave areas, where I live now is somewhat similar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-17-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Wondered about that name. Does it mean they are known for wrought iron pigeons or for counterfeit pigeons?

Always been one of my fave areas, where I live now is somewhat similar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

http://cityofpigeonforge.com/history...eon-forge.aspx

"The town takes the first part of its name from the Little Pigeon River, and the river takes its name from passenger pigeons. These birds, now extinct, were so numerous that they darkened the sky as they flew into the valley, and the beech trees along the river were stripped of limbs by the weight of their great numbers. The second part of the name came from the bloomery ‘forge’ built by Isaac Love in 1817."

Barney