Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM

I remember when that thing was first opened (I was in SoCal then). Quite an extravagant thing at the time. Shuller was always at least as much of a self-help guru type as anything else, just with a heavy religious overlay. Very self-serving, indeed, but not much different from any other "televangelist" type.

I really miss the days of the huge old oval ballroom (Was it called "The Golden Ballroom"? Dang that I can't remember the name!) that closed there in the LA area, also to be taken over by a religious group and converted into some kind of church thing. It had been open 60 years, with decor that went back to the twenties, and ballroom dancing there to live music was unlike anything else. I was fortunate enough to experience it a few times in the final year or two, before it closed. The place oozed history, having hosted all of the biggest "big bands" in their peak years, and a dressy evening there was like stepping back in time, albeit with a bit of the gloss having faded. Nothing lasts forever, and even the mightiest must fall one day. Anyone else know the place I'm remembering?