Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Are they really going under? Or will they outsource production? Hard to fathom no more Hostess twinkies....has there been a big decrease in sales? Has stock fallen? I can tell you the trademark is not going anywhere.
They will sell off the brands and teh stockholders will be fine. It is only the workers that are screwed.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
They will sell off the brands and teh stockholders will be fine. It is only the workers that are screwed.
I hope Little Debbie is safe.....

I heard overheard some Marines today saying "Obama" and "18,500" earlier today at work....I did not get the rest of it but once I read this post I knew what they were talking about. I imagine they are blaming Obama for this....please...

Yeah the workers will be screwed and the trademark will go to a Chinese cupcake factory...soon the twinkie boxes will say made in china....
Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I hope Little Debbie is safe.....

I heard overheard some Marines today saying "Obama" and "18,500" earlier today at work....I did not get the rest of it but once I read this post I knew what they were talking about. I imagine they are blaming Obama for this....please...

Yeah the workers will be screwed and the trademark will go to a Chinese cupcake factory...soon the twinkie boxes will say made in china....
Meanwhile the Pension Benefit Guarantee Agency is going bankrupt as all these corporations are allowed by crooked judges to duck their responsibilities.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Bankruptcy law defines the priority order that people get paid. Stockholders are at the bottom of the list. From memory the order goes something like this.

1) Lawyers
2) Lenders after bankruptcy filing and taxes
3) Unsecured creditors and employees
4) Shareholders

Secured creditors get whatever asset(s) was pledged as security.

In most cases there is not enough money to pay everyone. Unsecured creditors usually get pennies on the dollar and shareholders get diddly squat.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Here is the bakers union statement mirrored on the AFL-CIO web site:

http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Corporate...-in-the-Making
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Admin

Sounds like they were Bained.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I think it has more to do with them making products people no longer want. Thankfully, the American palate has advanced a bit since Hostess first introduced these fat pills.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Admin

“Hostess failed because its six management teams over the last eight years were unable to make it a profitable, successful business enterprise. Despite a commitment from the company after the first bankruptcy that the resources derived from the workers’ concessions would be plowed back into the company, this never materialized. Management refused to invest in modernizing its bakeries or devote necessary resources to advertising and marketing, product development and new technology. Business plan after business plan failed, leaving the company ever deeper in debt.
“When a highly-respected financial consultant, hired by Hostess, determined earlier this year that the company’s business plan to exit bankruptcy was guaranteed to fail because it left the company with unsustainable debt levels, our members knew that the massive wage and benefit concessions the company was demanding would go straight to Wall Street investors and not back into the company.
“Our members were aware that while the company was descending into bankruptcy and demanding deep concessions, the top ten executives of the company were rewarding themselves with lavish compensation increases, with the then CEO receiving a 300 percent increase." From AFL CIO link EBacon provided

Looks like Bained to me.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think it has more to do with them making products people no longer want. Thankfully, the American palate has advanced a bit since Hostess first introduced these fat pills.
The union statement says that product development was one of the areas where management failed.

Chrysler went through the same problem when Bob Eaton took over during the 1990s. He was a bean counter, not a product guy. Each time that we had to make a decision on whether to tool a new product his knees would give out and he would pull the plug on the program. A few years later Chrysler was still building the same cars as it was when Iacocca retired and it was no longer competitive. That's when it started to die out and Daimler bought it.

Bob Eaton the weasel walked away from deal with something like $90M in his pockets. He is living lavishly down in Florida as an award for selling out. What a pud.

Let's see if Bob Eaton has written any books about his so-called leadership. Hmmm. Nope. The bean counting bastard probably can't even put a sentence together.

How about books by Lee Iacocca. Yup.

Where Have All the Leaders Gone (Written during the Bush administration )
Talking Straight

I wonder if Mitt Romney wrote any books. Hmmm. Oh lookey, he deed, he deed! Wonder whut da puddy twat wote!

Here is one that bashes Obama.
No Apology - A Case for American Greatness
Dat's all der is fom da Womney!

As if we need a book that argues in favor of greatness. What a dumbass.

Neocons are an embarrassment to the nation.

Last edited by ebacon; 11-17-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM

Hostess was sold to two hedge funds and a private equity firm. Some say a vulture capitalist firm was also involved. The first thing they did was drive down wages and benefits for the workers. This triggered the strike. The union is now busted and we are on the hook for their pensions. I would be less than surprised if they go back into full production after the bankruptcy using non-union workers working for poverty wages.

This crap has got to stop. It may not be illegal but it is highly unethical. I can't imagine what goes through the amoral, narcissistic minds of people like Romney. They care about nothing but themselves.

BTW, you don't have to be a lawyer to handle bankruptcies. You do have to know what you are doing though.