Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Who is buying Hummer

Why are they keeping it a secret. Now I am all for the whole global economy but selling to an overseas company is not in our best interest.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

Some Chinese heavy equipment company, no name given.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM

They worried a few years ago about the Chicoms conquering the world militarily; Shit, they're gonna do it the easy way-Just write a check...But, OTOH, is that such a bad thing ? If they were to go to war w/us, they could quite probably prevail, but they couldn't hurt us w/o being hurt a LOT themselves, & destroying a great deal of their investments here. And the Chicoms aren't for nothing VERY astute businessmen. When you consider what a poor & backward place China was in 1979, & how far they've come in 30 years, its remarkable. They still have a long way to go, but when you look at pictures of Shanghai, Beijing, & other Chinese cities, & realise all those gleaming skyscrapers are less than 30 years old....Wow.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
If they were to go to war w/us, they could quite probably prevail
ouch!!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Resident octogenarian

All that talk from them about finding a new 'world' currency was just that - talk. With all the US dollars they have the last thing they want to see is the dollar being devalued.

With all the smog they are generating they may all die off with lung troubles.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
ouch!!!!!
I don't like it either, but I think their standing army is greater than the entire population of the US. Was a few years ago, anyway. Unless we went nuclear rather quickly, they'd simply overwhelm us-Much as we did Germany in WW2. Germany, ultimately, didn't stand a chance against out industrial might-Which ain't there anymore.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I don't like it either, but I think their standing army is greater than the entire population of the US. Was a few years ago, anyway. Unless we went nuclear rather quickly, they'd simply overwhelm us-Much as we did Germany in WW2. Germany, ultimately, didn't stand a chance against out industrial might-Which ain't there anymore.
And this is what gets me with all the people who want to let the (former) Big 3 fail. Should another big war break out do y'all think for one moment that Toyota, et al are going to build our tanks and trucks. If you believe that we are having a special on the Bay Bridge this week.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
And this is what gets me with all the people who want to let the (former) Big 3 fail. Should another big war break out do y'all think for one moment that Toyota, et al are going to build our tanks and trucks. If you believe that we are having a special on the Bay Bridge this week.
That was sort of my point when I asked who was buying hummer. Now I may be mistaken if AM General is not on the block but I assumed it was.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Stranger things have happened.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...nazicars30.htm
Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM

I heard last night that AM General-the folks who make the military Humvees-is NOT being sold. Somebody showed RARE intelligence on that one... Down here, there was/is a facility, Holston Ordnance that made a LOT of the explosives & powder for the ammo the Army uses, including this stuff called RDX, which was reputed to be the hottest stuff they had, short of nuclear. You would think that the Gummint would want to see that Holston Ordnance remained under US control, but Der Schlickmeister sold it to BAE Systems, a British outfit.