Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Best game in the whole of sports!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Best game in the whole of sports!
It used to be, back in my teens the purchasing agent where I workd gave me a pair of tickets to the Senior A league game. Farm team of the Montreal Canadiens and some other team. Called my Dad at work so we hhad dinner and saw the game. No fighting nor unnecessary rough play, we really enjoyed the game. Probably the last one thatI ever enjoyed watching.

Later in life my Son was in a boy's league. One of the coaches (I knew him) kept one kid on his team who could not really play but he was big for his age. The coach admitted that his sole purpose was to pick a fight with the opponent's best player and get them both off with penalties. My Son asked if I would let him quit and I said yes, he did not need examples like that.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

Later in life my Son was in a boy's league. One of the coaches (I knew him) kept one kid on his team who could not really play but he was big for his age. The coach admitted that his sole purpose was to pick a fight with the opponent's best player and get them both off with penalties. My Son asked if I would let him quit and I said yes, he did not need examples like that.
Yeah his prime purpose is to create mayhem and mess up the star on the opposing team.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
It used to be, back in my teens the purchasing agent where I workd gave me a pair of tickets to the Senior A league game. Farm team of the Montreal Canadiens and some other team. Called my Dad at work so we hhad dinner and saw the game. No fighting nor unnecessary rough play, we really enjoyed the game. Probably the last one thatI ever enjoyed watching.

The operative word in your last paragraph is "one". That's one bad coach who would be tossed out if I had a kid in that league and heard abou it. If a kid doesn't like the game and wants to quit, that's one thing, but if a kid wants to quit because he's stuck with an asshole for a coach, that's another.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:15 PM

I saw the beginning of my first and only game in Birmingham several years ago and the first quarter was great, the second the interruptions started and ruined it for us, like a loudly bickering couple in a concert, and spoiling an otherwise enjoyable event. We decided we had enuff and left.
I do wish i could enjoy it but until it becomes a clean sport without the violent interruptions, that just isn't possible.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 05-04-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
I saw the beginning of my first and only game in Birmingham several years ago and the first quarter was great, the second the interruptions started and ruined it for us, like a loudly bickering couple in a concert, and spoiling an otherwise enjoyable event. We decided we had enuff and left.
I do wish i could enjoy it but until it becomes a clean sport without the violent interruptions, that just isn't possible.
Ya mean like, opposed to the NFL? Where the entire game is made up of two of the worst aspects of American life...violence (on every play), interrupted by committee meetings.

One other thing about soccer...obviously it's hours of guys in shorts running around and around. But as far as the violence goes...what's the deal with soccer players bumping into each other and then both of them falling down, and thrashing around like somebody stabbed them both in the eye with a pencil??? A hockey player gets a fracture to his cervical spine, wraps his neck up with duct tape, and goes out and finishes the game. Anybody remember what Andrew Shaw's face looked like at the end of game 6 of last years NHL final?

Last edited by Ike Bana; 05-05-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Not really. Like soccer the difficulty to score turns me off.
Now you got me thinking and...uh...ruminating, I guess about scoring. So I did some research:

Top 4 professional soccer leagues goals per game...2.1 (A whole 7.1 "accurate" shots on goal where there's a score or the goalie makes a save.)
NFL Ave Touchdowns per game...4.95 (Does anybody get excited about FG's unless it wins the game?)
NHL Ave goals per game...5.3 (On just under 30 shots on goal per game. A great save is just as exhilerating as a goal, IMO.)
MLB Ave runs per game...8.3
NBA Ave field goals per game....unable to find the data anywhere. So let's say, between the two teams there are 200 points per game, and that between the 3's, 2's, and 1's, the ball goes in the hole 50 times per game for each team, that's 100 scores in per game.

Interesting...I feel the same way about basketball where the difficulty not scoring causes me to lose interest pretty quickly. If scoring frequency appears to be out of line in the 5 major sports, seems to me it's in basketball.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 05-05-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 AM

The NFL has done a better job of cleaning up the game than hockey, baseball has a ways yet to go. F.I, if the pitcher hits the batter with his equipment the batter should be allowed to retaliate with one free swing at the pitcher's head or ribs.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
The NFL has done a better job of cleaning up the game than hockey, baseball has a ways yet to go. F.I, if the pitcher hits the batter with his equipment the batter should be allowed to retaliate with one free swing at the pitcher's head or ribs.
Huh? Football has cleaned up? Maybe we should just ignore the gouged eyes, and bite marks, and fishhooking that goes on in the interior line every game. The forearms to the head, elbows to the chin, etc. BTW - If I were NHL king, body checking would be outlawed like it is in college and international play. And everybody would have to wear a full cage. But it's still the best game in town. Football is a relatively filthy game. The headhunting rules are a joke.

You're just having some fun when you talk about baseball though...right? The game has always been about the pitcher putting one on the batter's hip when he crowds the plate, or when he slammed one last time up. That's all part of the strategy of being a pitcher. But maybe the players should just change into a dress when they come up to bat...ya think?

Last edited by Ike Bana; 05-05-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 AM

I'm only partly kidding on the batter being allowed reprisal, the ability to throw a bat endwise with accurate force would be useful. Better would be a "designated" player ejection for a pitcher striking a batter with the choice of the ejected player by the team at bat.

Last edited by Pio1980; 05-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.