Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Netflix takes a week to load it's streaming stuff.
A week?

Dude, what do you have?

56K Dial up?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
A week?

Dude, what do you have?

56K Dial up?
Well, first you gotta get some ethernet coax, not the TV stuff. Then you need an old cell phone, an aluminum pie plate, a compass, and some duct tape. Hopefully you have a second story window that faces south....
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Watched "Alexander Nevsky" for the umpteenth time last night. Great example of propaganda as art..... or art as propaganda. Can't tell which.

John
Old 04-13-2014, 12:43 AM
Loyal Opposition

Last night I watched "The Dangerous Mr. Baker" a documentary on Ginger Baker. I suppose that he is best known as a drummer for Cream, although that was only a small slice of his career. Really, it is an interesting take on genius. Baker had poor judgment, a bad business sense, little loyalty, little education, and dreadful manners. Yet when it came to pounding the skins, he was a genius in several genres.

Tonight, I started watching on Netflix another "high concept" television series: Numb3rs. After two episodes, I think I will like it

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-13-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Last night I watched "The Dangerous Mr. Baker" a documentary on Ginger Baker. I suppose that he is best known as a drummer for Cream, although that was only a small slice of his career. Really, it is an interesting take on genius. Baker had poor judgment, a bad business sense, little loyalty, little education, and dreadful manners. Yet when it came to pounding the skins, he was a genius in several genres.

Tonight, I started watching on Netflix another "high concept" television series: Numb3rs. After two episodes, I think I will like it

Regards,

D-Ray
He's a great drummer, but a complete ass. I particularly liked the shot of him hitting the interviewer with his cane. Until I saw this bio, I had no idea that he did those drum offs with jazz drummers. He's a trifle self-confident. Oh, and speaking of land grabs, I think he lost the South African ranch. I also read a BBC interview where he states that Clapton is still helping him.

Last edited by bhunter; 04-13-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
I enjoyed "TDMB" and learned enough to know "to watch out" he's got a temper!

My brother a drummer for thirty years, commented on how sporadic Ginger was. Liked the son's drumming much better.

Think he got screwed out of some Cream money. I figure it was a three way collaboration when doing a song.

Smokes and on Oxygen smart move!

Barney
Old 04-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Admin

Catching the new Superman today. Still recovering from a nasty cold or some strain of the flu that wasn't covered in this years inoculation. Time for some Naproxin and a shot of Nyquil. Heh, they pulled out all the stops in casting this one.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 AM

I've been catching Sidewalk Empire off e-Bay DVDs. Just like politics and politicians, only with prohibition booze as the cash cow and historical Easter eggs galore. Liberal use of mostly period-correct cars with emphasis on the then-ubiquitous black Model 'T' Fords are for me a personally nice touch. Lots of deliciously nasty characters but watch out for the women.

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-14-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 AM

Saw The Grand Budapest Hotel, IMO great story telling on film, uniquely stylish and in it's fanciful way visually psychedelic. Ralph Feinnes as one of the the main characters manages to mash-up Peter O'tool and John Cleese into an engaging hotelier with a remarkable back-story, his lobby boy-in-training is a delightfully subdued scene-stealer as such and the other major character as his eventual equal.

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-14-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 AM

That one looked good. I'll try it.