Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Jigsawed

Thanks for reminding me about the series!

I have to go To Showtime VOD.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Thanks for reminding me about the series!

I have to go To Showtime VOD.
You're welcome, Dondillion. He does take more of a neutral position on the Soviet Union than you'll see in most history books. I think that a lot of the animosity towards the communists was fostered by the moneyed class in the west. Sadly, we and the British pushed hard at them during their formative years after their revolution and they ended up with Stalin as the strongman. Too many these days confuse social-ism and communism with Stalinism.

He explores the Gorbachev era more in this episode. Once again, we reneged on promises made by Bush1. I really am bemused and not a little mystified by the deification of Reagan and GHW Bush by Repubs, it just doesn't bear up under closer scrutiny.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I really am bemused and not a little mystified by the deification of Reagan and GHW Bush by Repubs, it just doesn't bear up under closer scrutiny.
Or the apparent belief that Hollywood somehow parallels reality in the personages of Clint Eastwood and The Duke. I even recall an interview of Clint Eastwood by Hannity, some years ago, in which Eastwood himself seems bemused by Hannitys inability to seperate the real man from the movie charactor. Let's see if I can find it..................
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Area Man

Well, I search and search and find about 12,000,000,000,000,000,000 videos of last novembers interview and one from 1967 and that's it.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Admin

Can you imagine if the right wingnuttery started watching those old black and white episodes of Rawhide? Hollywood left wing propaganda is how the Fux News & friends would characterize that TV show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawhide_(TV_series)
Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
You're welcome, Dondillion. He does take more of a neutral position on the Soviet Union than you'll see in most history books. I think that a lot of the animosity towards the communists was fostered by the moneyed class in the west. Sadly, we and the British pushed hard at them during their formative years after their revolution and they ended up with Stalin as the strongman. Too many these days confuse social-ism and communism with Stalinism.

He explores the Gorbachev era more in this episode. Once again, we reneged on promises made by Bush1. I really am bemused and not a little mystified by the deification of Reagan and GHW Bush by Repubs, it just doesn't bear up under closer scrutiny.
I am surprise that Showtime presented this series. Kudos to the people
at Showtime.

To me Stone comes across as more than neutral; he is pro Soviet.

I believe the animosity was justified in view of the havoc inflicted by
paranoid dictators in a communist system. This systems does not have much
checks and balances. Solzhenitsyn gives a sense and dynamics of the failure.

The Repubs do not really respect Reagan. He was useful to them because of his
basic anti big government message. They use Reagan more as a mantra not as substance.

Stone was very critical of Clinton. I think I need to really review Clinton.
Am I a camp follower? Am I looking at him through rose colored glasses?

Last edited by Dondilion; 01-12-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Having spend a week in the Soviet Union in 1981, I can assure you that it was a desperately phucked up place and virtually no words could exaggerate how phucked up it was.

As for Stone, he concocts a story with just enough inter-sprinkled history to make it semi-plausible if you're a conspiracy theorist.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Having spend a week in the Soviet Union in 1981, I can assure you that it was a desperately phucked up place and virtually no words could exaggerate how phucked up it was.

As for Stone, he concocts a story with just enough inter-sprinkled history to make it semi-plausible if you're a conspiracy theorist.
Says you! He does play a little fast and loose but it's the new normal, no? The Soviet Union was indeed a phucked up place for most of it's history. I read one of the 'Catherine The Great' historical treatments and really enjoyed the section on Gen. Potempkin moving his village down the Volga? ahead of Cathy's royal barge everynight. It says a lot about the Russian character.

I see parallels in theater/Hollywood set making. Hmmm, that would be fun for a new crossover career, I'm getting a little tired of fixing all of the shit that renters keep breaking around here in Orange county.