Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Loyal Opposition

Robert Gates - Patriot

Fareed Zakaria has shown some exceptional insight in the few times I've had the opportunity see his work. This article isn't particularly about the pragmatic path Barack Obama has taken toward governing, but it shows some of the benefits of doing so. The Industrial Military Complex is a tough nut to crack as a means for budget savings, but retaining a Republican as Secretary of Defense certainly lends some credibility to an effort to do so. The intractability of the establishment is seen in the opposition to minor cost cutting measures, such as trimming the Pentagon Bureaucracy. (Ironic that the GOP would be so opposed to trimming bureaucracy - I suppose it's OK to be a bureaucrat if you're wearing a uniform.) Gotta give Secretary Gates credit for his patriotism in at least beginning to address the mammoth excesses in the defense budget.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

It is comical how the Right, always critical of government bureaucrats, will come to the defense of bureaucrats as long as their funding source is the DoD budget. Little do they (want to) realize that DoD bureaucracy puts the bureaucracy in other Federal agencies to shame in terms of its bloated nature and lack of accountability.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It is comical how the Right, always critical of government bureaucrats, will come to the defense of bureaucrats as long as their funding source is the DoD budget. Little do they (want to) realize that DoD bureaucracy puts the bureaucracy in other Federal agencies to shame in terms of its bloated nature and lack of accountability.
Yeah, but it's those damned DOE bureaucrats who really sink the budget. Besides that, you have an egghead scientist running the show. What the hell do they know about making money.

From what I understand, the DOE has to shoulder some of the cost for defense, offense (Iraq, Afghanistan) and Homeland security. Is it a pretty big chunk? You have any uniformed officers in the offices over there?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
From what I understand, the DOE has to shoulder some of the cost for defense, offense (Iraq, Afghanistan) and Homeland security. Is it a pretty big chunk? You have any uniformed officers in the offices over there?
Not exactly. Part of DOE is funded through the Defense Appropriation, other parts through the Energy and Water Resources appropriation. No uniformed officers around though. By statute (the Atomic Energy Act), we need to separate the brains from the brawn.

BTW, so much for Gates the Patriot. Word is that he's retiring next year (fresh off the presses).

Last edited by finnbow; 08-16-2010 at 02:14 PM.