Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

“On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

– H.L. Mencken, the Sage of Baltimore
Although my fellow Baltimoron's point doesn't apply to Trump's presidency in that he is a Republican president playing the GOP's practical politics game. Democrats have their own practical politics playbook.

Last edited by nailer; 07-30-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:19 AM
Ready

Attached Images
File Type: png trump cities.PNG (160.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-31-2019, 03:01 PM
Jigsawed

Very weak.

Elijah represents an area for 23 years. The area is referred to by Bernie as third world and by Trump as filthy.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:51 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Very weak.

Elijah represents an area for 23 years. The area is referred to by Bernie as third world and by Trump as filthy.
It was an entertainment piece, not meant for you. But siince you saw fit to attack it....

Sander's comments, in context, were an indictment of structural racism that resulted in a economically-deprived community. Trump's comments, in context, were a racist slam against a black man, using tropes that identify the pathologies of poverty as the result of 'infestation' by sub-humans. You should be ashamed to repeat the demagogic lie that they are equlivalent!

Basically, you are making a moral error in defending the race-baiter in chief.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:10 AM
Jigsawed

No shame in pointing out the failure of democratic leadership especially when that leadership shows little real concern about the plight of their domestic constituents.

Baltimore has fifty continuous years of democratic representation. One would not realize that by just viewing what preoccupies such representation.

Trump is correct in reminding the democrats of their primary responsibilities.

Last edited by Dondilion; 08-01-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:45 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
No shame in pointing out the failure of democratic leadership especially when that leadership shows little real concern about the plight of their domestic constituents.

Baltimore has fifty continuous years of democratic representation. One would not realize that by just viewing what preoccupies such representation.

Trump is correct in reminding the democrats of their primary responsibilities.
That's a lousy point, in my opinion. Exactly what Republican or Trumpian policies do you think would have made the impoverished parts of Baltimore better? Cutting taxes? Harsher law enforcement? More executions?

And of course, Elijah Cummings might be for the best policies in the world, but he can't pass them by himself.

And by the way, this is a lousy point, in my opinion, but it's not the one for which I said you should be ashamed.

But on the other hand, you should. Because in context, this counterpoint has the effect of defending Trump's racist attack. Trump's comments were NOT aimed at advocating better policy to help the poor citizens of Baltimore. In claiming they were, you were functioning at an unusually low level (which is as gently as I can put it).
Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 AM
Jigsawed

50 plus years imply both dems and repug admins.

The larger context: Dems have been inviting the whole world to come to the southern border. They broadcast
that they will help to negate the laws and game the system.
When people started to show up in big numbers and overwhelm the system the same dems in cahoots with
their news outlet began making headline grabbing criticism...some game.

Trump is triple right to call them out.
I have a strong suspicion the underclass understands and appreciates Trump illuminating Elijah.

Last edited by Dondilion; 08-02-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Ready

And you triple down on your defense.

The 'larger context,' if true which I deny, would still not excuse the race-baiter-in-chief. I'm puzzled why the wrongness and harmfulness of this behavior does not register with you, except perhaps in an abstract way. In any case it clearly carries no importance with you, compared to the 'larger context,' which seems to loom very large indeed, in your mind.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Now the piece of shit occupying the Oval Office has intervened in the DoD procurement process over Amazon's winning bid for the $10B cloud contract. Everything to do with the WaPo telling the truth about the slimeball. Nothing about this asshole surprises anymore.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
my fellow Baltimoron's point doesn't apply to Trump's presidency.
You obviously live in fantasy land. BTW, you're no Walt Kelly, as much as you'd love to think you are.