Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Admin

I'm curious, too. My marantz 2270s sound nice, my Adcom 555s sound nice but my Magnavox 150 bi amp monoblocks (only 25 watts each) blow them all away. I've heard some nice high end soiled state, Levinson and MacIntosh for example, that are better than what I own.

It's interesting to note that my Vandersteen Threes (which I got cheap) were voiced on Audio Research tube amps. Should I ever win the Irish Sweepstakes I would spring for AR tubeage but since I'm a poor tinkerer and a cheap sumbitch...

....resurrecting an old style tech set of biamp Magnavox console amps suffices for me. (best of both worlds, single ended high frequency amp 6AT6>6V6GT and parallel push pull low frequency amp 12AT7>(4)6V6GT on each chassis).
Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Admin

Volunteers, again...Eskimo Blue Day right now. Celebrating 4/20 still and getting ready for Earth Day.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM

A collection of YES. It is a four CD set that is excellent.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'm curious, too. My marantz 2270s sound nice, my Adcom 555s sound nice but my Magnavox 150 bi amp monoblocks (only 25 watts each) blow them all away. I've heard some nice high end soiled state, Levinson and MacIntosh for example, that are better than what I own.

It's interesting to note that my Vandersteen Threes (which I got cheap) were voiced on Audio Research tube amps. Should I ever win the Irish Sweepstakes I would spring for AR tubeage but since I'm a poor tinkerer and a cheap sumbitch...

....resurrecting an old style tech set of biamp Magnavox console amps suffices for me. (best of both worlds, single ended high frequency amp 6AT6>6V6GT and parallel push pull low frequency amp 12AT7>(4)6V6GT on each chassis).
I know it is SS but check out the MC250. It sounds like a tube amp and can keep up with the MC275 tube amp. Hard to believe. A good example can be had for $800 bucks or less. A unit in need of a rebuild and not on perfect condition can be had for a fraction of that price. Go to the McIntosh AK forum and search. There is a recent thread on the MC250. I think I might try one out myself.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Admin

Thanks, wgrr. Love that blue Mac glow. I'm almost in the frame of mind of enlisting the help of tube gurus at AK to build something that'll power my Vandy Three speakers. They demand a helluva lot more power, hence the Adcom GFA555 amps in use presently. Gawd, 200 watts in tube power is expensive.

Hell, I should just sell the Vandy's and the Adcoms and build Billfort's cabinets for my new to me Altec 604Es and see how my '57 Maggotboxes sound through them...hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

I wonder if Bluestreak still hates me?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Admin

Oh, yeah. Alone Together by Dave Mason. Feelin' alright, indeed.Nice having all these bonus tracks on the remastered CDs.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Admin

Quadrophenia side three & four up next.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
I got crazy, today.

After I moved out of my house I have been living with a friend in a single room. Sold lots of stuff but kept Cornwalls and a Sansui G9000.

I pulled it all outside and had myself a Grateful Dead session (live, from 1974 using the Wall of Sound) with two cigars and scotch.

Damn, I WILL have space to set this all up again...
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Admin

COOL, Zeke!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM

The Next Day
David Bowie

kind of grows on you