Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

There may be hope, watched two episodes on the Newshour of schools in Texas of all places, trying to stem the dropout rate. They are offering university level courses in addition to the regular high school curricula. Seems many kids dropped out from boredom (How well I know that route). At one major school one student received a two year college degree before graduating high school.

In some cases the university professors come to the high school, in other cases the students go to the university. They even accredit some of the high school teachers to teach the courses.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
There may be hope, watched two episodes on the Newshour of schools in Texas of all places, trying to stem the dropout rate. They are offering university level courses in addition to the regular high school curricula. Seems many kids dropped out from boredom (How well I know that route). At one major school one student received a two year college degree before graduating high school.

In some cases the university professors come to the high school, in other cases the students go to the university. They even accredit some of the high school teachers to teach the courses.
I never dropped out entirely, I just took to skipping classes and hanging out at the party spots. I barely maintained enough to pass....on test scores. I would skip classes all week long, then take the tests and score very high. It used to drive my parents and teachers nuts. Then my father noticed I would read the entire text book in the first week, or so. The rest of the year, I would screw off, sleep in class or skip as many days as I could.

I wasn't "behind" the class. I was way ahead of most of them and bored with waiting for them to catch up.

I never went to college because of;

A). My grades, low due to attendence and refusal to do much, if any homework.

B). I figured it just be more of the same.

It was a mistake, of course. I think I would have found college much more interesting and engaging. But, instead, I joined the Navy. Which was an invaluable experience in itself. I learned a whole lot about the real world in those days. Things that will stay with me forever, and I am deeply thankfull for that.

I got one of the two right. Should have done both.

Dave
Old 07-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Joined the USN while still in high school, graduated and off I went. There is nothing like a real world education. I always marvel at the wisdom of Mark Twain. This quote is particularly apt in this case: Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

But I done traveled one county over a'few year back!

Pete
Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
But I done traveled one county over a'few year back!

Pete
We can tell. (I know you're joking.)

I actually had a woman back home in Newton Falls tell me once, and quite forcefully, "I don't give a damn what goes on out there! Everything I know and need to know is right here! This is the best place on earth and that's good enough for me!"

One of the saddest things I have ever heard. 'Cuz that place is as boring and backwards as hell. I guess if boring and backwards is your thing, you have a right to pursue it..........

Dave
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I knew you were kidding bro

That's sad. I visited Newton Falls once. I think the high point was a saggy old covered bridge covered in obscene graffitti

Pete
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
Joined the USN while still in high school, graduated and off I went. There is nothing like a real world education. I always marvel at the wisdom of Mark Twain. This quote is particularly apt in this case: Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
We can tell. (I know you're joking.)

I actually had a woman back home in Newton Falls tell me once, and quite forcefully, "I don't give a damn what goes on out there! Everything I know and need to know is right here! This is the best place on earth and that's good enough for me!"

One of the saddest things I have ever heard. 'Cuz that place is as boring and backwards as hell. I guess if boring and backwards is your thing, you have a right to pursue it..........

Dave
I can say with almost dead certainty that all the folks selling/believing in the notion of American Exceptionalism have never lived or traveled extensively overseas.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Franklin, Jefferson, Adams?

Pete
Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Franklin, Jefferson, Adams?

Pete
I'm talking about the whole American exceptionalism notion being sold in the past decade or so by the GOP and their Talk Radio/Fox enablers.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I can say with almost dead certainty that all the folks selling/believing in the notion of American Exceptionalism have never lived or traveled extensively overseas.
Why would anyone want to do a thing like that? Hell, a lot of those people don't even know how to speak English!

John