Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:16 PM

Trailer Park Boys

I don't know if any of you have watched the series, but the setting is a dysfunctional mobile home park somewhere in Canada. I found it hilarious, YMMV.
Anywho, the reason I bring it up is that although we have our share of trailer parks in Anchorage proper, I never imagined mobile homes made much of a dent in the housing market "up north".
My view was expanded the past week as I toured the Canadian Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver, and found nearly every community (with the exception of Gov controlled Banff) to be teeming with mobile home parks. It seems most can't afford conventional, foundation homes.
Those of you moving north when Trump wins might want to start looking at the latest models before they sell out. You rednecks!
Old 09-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
It seems most can't afford conventional, foundation homes.
Welcome to the future. Like it?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Welcome to the future. Like it?
It's not the future for me. I lived in a dysfunctional trailer park for a couple years as a kid while we built our property after MLK got shot and we left the city.
Moved that 12x60 to our lot and lived there until I moved out at 18. Family of 5 in less than 700 Sq. ft.
It can be done, and things can get better. It's been done before.
Question is if it can get better in a place like Canada.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 09-26-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
It's not the future for me. I lived in a dysfunctional trailer park for a couple years as a kid while we built our property after MLK got shot and we left the city.
Moved that 12x60 to our lot and lived there until I moved out at 18. Family of 5 in less than 700 Sq. ft.
It can be done, and things can get better. It's been done before.
Question is if it can get better in a place like Canada.
I believe so. Canada seems to be friendlier to the working poor.

Last edited by Dondilion; 09-26-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:45 PM

I'm sure they love the working poor. They're making lots of 'em!

Other observations-
-Canada, although seen as great environmentalists, continues to enjoy a vibrant logging industry, where it was shut down in the states about 30 years ago. They also continue to allow cattle ranchers to graze their cows into salmon streams (which would never fly here) and they have large commercial developments in many of their parks. They also dam up streams, killing off wild salmon runs to produce hydro power.
-Downtown Vancouver BC is teeming with Muslims. Our guide said that the pop. of the greater Vancouver area was around 2.5M, and that about 1M of those were Chinese. Well, at least in the downtown area where the wealthier hang out, the middle-easterners outnumber the Chinese.
-They aren't as well versed on the nature stuff as they'd like you to believe. On the menu for lunch in a luxury dining spot, they listed "steelhead salmon".
They also mentioned loss of Ospreys that were frying themselves trying to nest on telephone poles. They had apparently not heard of the successful use of hoola hoops above the poles as is used in Kodiak for the same problem with eagles.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 09-26-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
I don't know if any of you have watched the series, but the setting is a dysfunctional mobile home park somewhere in Canada. I found it hilarious, YMMV.
Anywho, the reason I bring it up is that although we have our share of trailer parks in Anchorage proper, I never imagined mobile homes made much of a dent in the housing market "up north".
My view was expanded the past week as I toured the Canadian Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver, and found nearly every community (with the exception of Gov controlled Banff) to be teeming with mobile home parks. It seems most can't afford conventional, foundation homes.
Those of you moving north when Trump wins might want to start looking at the latest models before they sell out. You rednecks!

Yet at the time I came down here the percentage of people with their own homes was slightly greater than here. Though after my ex decided she did not want to stay in the house and we sold it I got $125,000 for what I had paid $30,000 so I guess things had already started to go nuts.

Yet it is only certain areas as I was looking at house prices in the Maritimes and they are quite reasonable.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:59 AM

One stark difference from the states was that you rarely saw mobiles sitting out on their own, on say an acre or more of land. They were all packed into these trailer parks, right on top of one another. Not many stick built homes out on acreage either. Either you're a farmer, or you live in town.