Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Mike a lady drove her Honda into my Ford Probe, bill for repairing the Probe $265, for the Honda over $1400 last I heard from her insurance company. That was enough of a crash test rating for me. Poor woman saw the white hair and was concerned that I was OK. Then she looked at her car and said 'My husband will kill me."

Engineering is management ergo non union
So your basing crash test durability on an isolated accident which may have caused different damage to each vehicle? Ridiculous. So if I rear end your old probe with my new Benz and break my $2500 headlamps but only wreck your bumper the new Mercedes is less durable in a crash?

How about something like your chances of being alive after a 50mph front end collision or a side impact. I would be a bit more concerned about that then the relative costs of a fender bender.

Besides good crash tested cars are meant to crumble in certain areas to keep you alive.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
So your basing crash test durability on an isolated accident which may have caused different damage to each vehicle? Ridiculous. So if I rear end your old probe with my new Benz and break my $2500 headlamps but only wreck your bumper the new Mercedes is less durable in a crash?

How about something like your chances of being alive after a 50mph front end collision or a side impact. I would be a bit more concerned about that then the relative costs of a fender bender.

Besides good crash tested cars are meant to crumble in certain areas to keep you alive.
It was the small Honda within a year of the age of the Probe so roughly equal priced cars. The lady was not hurt and neither was I but her Honda was sure bent out of shape.

Mike you like riceburners that's fine, we don't and have had good service from the AmeriCanadian cars we have driven. Statistics are whatever you make of them, we only know what we have personally experienced. A simplle example there was a day when you changed mufflers every 20,000 miles. Our twin Impala LSs are tirteen years olf with way more than 20,000 miles and the original mufflers.

Saw results of crash tests on small cars on TV last night, the small Chevy was the only one to survive. The passenger compartment collapsed on all the others. In some cases the steering column shited backward.

Last edited by merrylander; 01-23-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Steering column? Find me a car with one anymore. My '11 Chevy 2500 doesn't have one nor does my wife's '12 Nissan Rogue. Does the receiver from the drive by wire hit the passengers?

I liked my american cars so much more than my Honda but they were like an abusive spouse.

Its not that I like rice burners, I have a 90 Accord with almost 200k on it that I've owned for six years and has given me zero trouble compared to the garbage american cars I owned before. I had a 1985 full sized Olds, ugh changed just about every part in 3 years but fun 307 to drive. 99 olds alero bought new, head gasket blew at 55k sold it, 02 Pontiac grand am bought with 20k on it, intake manifold gasket rupture at 62k which cracked the block when overheated. Basically totaled the car. How many of these disposable cars should you own before you realize they are poorly made. Pontiac was sell 250k grand ams as fleet cars on top of all they sold, where are they now? Where are all the Impalas from that time, they were fleet vehicles as well? Big crushing magnet in the sky.

My Honda does not burn oil, AC still ice cold, transmission nice a smooth. Even my power windows work whereas at 50k I had a window regulator fail in my Pontiac. It looked like a kids toy. Sure the quarters are rotting and the paint on the roof is almost gone, it was ugly ass beige anyway.

You have no idea what it took to go into the Chevy dealer and hand over $30k for my truck after my track record with gm. So far 18k no issues but I don't do many miles with it since the accord gets abused with commuting.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Loyal Opposition

So far, I'm kind of liking the idea of knowing that after three years, I will just turn my car in. About the most serious problem I have had with the Malibu is when the stereo system fails to recognize the flash drive with all of the tunes on it, but I like the idea of moving on before any serious problems are likely to get here.

In this weather, I am really liking the remote start. Nothing like getting into a warm car when it is 3 degrees outside.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 AM

How many miles do you put on those cars a year? Anything will last if it sits in the garage and gets driven once in awhile.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Then against all odds we got lucky when we first bought Florence's Impala LS and them I bought mine almost a year later and we woumd up with the only two 100% reliable autos?

Neither one was recalled for ruaway acceleratio, or failing brakes. Now there is a number to look at, recalls on the Chev Impala LS. So far mine was reclled for seat belts. Oh and both had a recall because some guy at NTHSB thought that a plastic guide on the front of the engine block "might" catch fire.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Then against all odds we got lucky when we first bought Florence's Impala LS and them I bought mine almost a year later and we woumd up with the only two 100% reliable autos?

Neither one was recalled for ruaway acceleratio, or failing brakes. Now there is a number to look at, recalls on the Chev Impala LS. So far mine was reclled for seat belts. Oh and both had a recall because some guy at NTHSB thought that a plastic guide on the front of the engine block "might" catch fire.
I have to tell ya, the 350 Vortec on my 99' Tahoe has about 193,000 miles on it and the oil still runs clear. I find that kind of impressive.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:16 AM

How many miles have you done in 13 years of owning the impalas?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

Around 85k, enough to have any crap parts fail had they wanted to do so.

In any case this debate is going nowhere as I wrote earlier My wife taught in Japan for a number of years and if I brought home a Toyota or Honda she would take great pleasure in setting fire to it in the driveway.

Last edited by merrylander; 01-25-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Around 85k, enough to have any crap parts fail had they wanted to do so.
I can remember back in the day, if you got 85K out of a car that was damned good. Usually you needed a complete engine and transmission rebuild before that.

Nowadays, for a car like a Toyota or my Honda, 85K is just getting broken in.

I switched to Japanese in 1990.

When I did I noticed a huge improvement in durability and workmanship.

Next to them the American vehicles that I had had for the previous 26 years were crap.

I have heard that since 1990 the American vehicles have caught up in quality.

Well, maybe they have, and maybe they haven't, but I have no intention of finding out.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 01-25-2014 at 06:55 PM.