Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Get with the program. The Nazis, not Germany, committed those atrocities.
Oh what nationality was the party then?

Germans followed their leader all the way to the outskirts of Moscow with no winter coats. Citizens do not do such things unless they believe in what they are doing.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

Germans followed their leader all the way to the outskirts of Moscow with no winter coats. Citizens do not do such things unless they believe in what they are doing.

The were soldiers and when a soldier says 'get stuffed' to his commander they usually get shot.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The were soldiers and when a soldier says 'get stuffed' to his commander they usually get shot.

Very true Rob, but they were not yet soldiers on "The night of broken glass". Soldiers did not come till years later. They ( the German people ) followed him blindingly in to the darkness.

Does this mean they should not be allowed to read the book ? No, not in my opinion. I feel that hiding the past does not allow it to be remembered..
Old 02-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
So, we all bought the Iraq pseudo-War, right?

I understand your point, I merely disagree.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
So, we all bought the Iraq pseudo-War, right?

I understand your point, I merely disagree.
I would posit most Americans supported the invasion at the time.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:

One of the most difficult questions still is the definition of the German citizen then. A lot of them were Nazis, no question about that. But a lot of Germans did just as much as was necessary in order to survive. My Grandfather and his brother, my Granduncle were in Stalingrad. My Grandfather was a physician and his brother a reverend. Grandpa "repaired" the warriors as far as he could and Granduncle buried the soldiers who died under Grandpas hands. Nazis?

Two absolutely lovely people, Grandpa worked as a doctor until 1978 and died aged 95. Granduncle became mentally sick soon after the end of the war as a result of what he exerienced in Stalingrad and died 1976 in a state of mental derangement.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
One of the most difficult questions still is the definition of the German citizen then. A lot of them were Nazis, no question about that. But a lot of Germans did just as much as was necessary in order to survive. My Grandfather and his brother, my Granduncle were in Stalingrad. My Grandfather was a physician and his brother a reverend. Grandpa "repaired" the warriors as far as he could and Granduncle buried the soldiers who died under Grandpas hands. Nazis?

Two absolutely lovely people, Grandpa worked as a doctor until 1978 and died aged 95. Granduncle became mentally sick soon after the end of the war as a result of what he exerienced in Stalingrad and died 1976 in a state of mental derangement.
My next door neighbours back in Quebec were from Germany, he was conscripted into the army but emigrated as soon as they could, damn good neigbours and nice people.

I also had a good friend Ruthild (May she rest in piece) she was a hostess at a standards conference in Nurnburg and a fellow philatelist. She died in a car crash on the autobahn.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Get with the program. The Nazis, not Germany, committed those atrocities.
A distinction without a difference when it comes to the Third Reich.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
A distinction without a difference when it comes to the Third Reich.
That, sir, is absolutely false. You should know better. Even between 1933 and 1945 there was also another "Germany" than "Nazi Germany". Your comment disappoints me.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 02-20-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
That, sir, is absolutely false. You should know better. Even between 1933 and 1945 there was also another "Germany" than "Nazi Germany". Your comment disappoints me.
My earlier point was that modern-day Germany has done a very good job in coming to terms with the atrocities committed in its name during WWII (unlike Japan). Was it also incorrect to have said Japan in this context (as opposed to some convoluted construction like "the militant followers of Hideki Tojo")? Similarly, should any criticism of the American first use of the A-Bomb at Hiroshima be directed solely to members of the Army Air Corp or Roosevelt/Truman's Democratic Party?

As for there having been another Germany from 1933-1945, there was certainly political opposition in the early years. But, it faded quickly with the growth of the (militarizing) German economy and the ease of early battlefield victories. You would have been hard-pressed to find many skeptics among average Germans after his march into the (demilitarized) Rhineland in March 1936 or the overwhelming victory against France in May-June 1940. At the risk of offending you, I believe that a lot of modern-day Germans try to downplay the level of support Hitler had. It did indeed become overwhelming before it all came crashing down.

This tendency among nations to airbrush their pasts is not unique to Germany. Currently, there are a lot of Republicans who want to edit what is taught in American History in high school to emphasize only the positive while ignoring the negative.

Last edited by finnbow; 02-20-2015 at 01:40 PM.