Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Actually, the Christian message is not fear of retribution and reckoning, though some would have you believe that. It is quite the opposite. It is your second paragraph. It is even part of the Christian message that that "sense" is in all of us.

https://www.jewishnotgreek.com/
Then, what's up with this "fear the lord" nonsense?
Old 07-06-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Sure. Religion is man made. It is one of many tools used to manipulate people. Look at islam today.

But according to humanism, the abusive authoritarian is right, until he's overthrown by someone more powerful (or he dies). In humanism, might quite literally makes right.
How is that different from religion?
Old 07-06-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
How is that different from religion?
I consider humanism to be a form of religion. Atheism too.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Agnosticism?
A state of lacking sufficient data to make a determination at this time.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Agnosticism?
A state of lacking sufficient data to make a determination at this time.
That's what I was. I was an "intellectual agnostic". I thought only shallow thinkers were Christians. I'm no longer an agnostic for a lot of reasons. The miraculous healings in my and my wife's lives being one of them.

As a Christian I understand the concept of "sheep and goats", but I separate it further. I believe there are Goats, found sheep and lost sheep. The "found sheep" tell the lost sheep and goats the good news, and the lost sheep become found sheep while the goats remain goats. I used to be a lost sheep. For all I know, many here are as well, but I suspect there are a few goats. That is for the Lord to sort out, not me. I share and let the chips fall where they may.

I'll just throw this out: If the Lord wills that none be lost, and he even presented himself, after his resurrection, to Saul of Tarsus, switching him from Saul to Paul and from a murderer of Christians to a leader of them, why does he not do that with every non-believer? It's a fun question to ask in church. Mouths open, eyes go crossed, and befuddlery fills the room.

I have thoughts on it, but by no means have the answer. Yet.

Last edited by Not Insane; 07-06-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
That's what I was. I was an "intellectual agnostic". I thought only shallow thinkers were Christians. I'm no longer an agnostic for a lot of reasons. The miraculous healings in my and my wife's lives being one of them.

As a Christian I understand the concept of "sheep and goats", but I separate it further. I believe there are Goats, found sheep and lost sheep. The "found sheep" tell the lost sheep and goats the good news, and the lost sheep become found sheep while the goats remain goats. I used to be a lost sheep. For all I know, many here are as well, but I suspect there are a few goats. That is for the Lord to sort out, not me. I share and let the chips fall where they may.
I might take the word of those who lead by selfless example. Say, attend a Sunday school class by Jimmy Carter vs a service by almost any populist doctrinaire evangelist.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I might take the word of those who lead by selfless example. Say, attend a Sunday school class by Jimmy Carter vs a service by almost any populist doctrinaire evangelist.
I teach sunday school at my church and also at our local jail. I've never seen a class by Jimmy Carter, though.

I get a lot of flack from people around here that adhere to the ECT doctrine (Eternal Conscious Torment). I teach CI in Jail and, being in the bible belt where even the guys in jail have a strong church bakground, it's a real eye opener. There are a lot of truly scared people around here. Scared of God. That should not be. You can "fear" him in the same way people who run nuclear power plants "fear" the plant.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I teach sunday school at my church and also at our local jail. I've never seen a class by Jimmy Carter, though.

I get a lot of flack from people around here that adhere to the ECT doctrine (Eternal Conscious Torment). I teach CI in Jail and, being in the bible belt where even the guys in jail have a strong church bakground, it's a real eye opener. There are a lot of truly scared people around here. Scared of God. That should not be. You can "fear" him in the same way people who run nuclear power plants "fear" the plant.
Apparently, it doesn't work as a deterrent for some "in the fold" as believers.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:38 PM

But according to humanism, the abusive authoritarian is right, until he's overthrown by someone more powerful (or he dies). In humanism, might quite literally makes right.

Retort: You post lots of misinformation about Humanism, which shows that you have some fear of learning about it in a correct manner. Humanism implies POSITIVE ETHICS, not "anything at all" done by humans. Certainly a Humanist would see an "abusive authoritarian" as what he or she is, a scourge on the society of humans.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:

What "you consider" does not make it correct. Religion clearly implies some sort of ethereal existence that contains a "God" and perhaps other creatures that is used as a foundation for the beliefs therein.
Humanism and atheism, on the other hand, consider only that which is known as "natural" and of THIS world, not of some "supernatural" entity or existence. HUGE difference!