Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Humanism has the Answer

As most of you know, Humanism is the ethical standard used by many atheists showing that no "divine" intervention is needed to establish the rules in a society which benefit the greatest majority of members. If you are a proud Humanist and would like to show it off to the world, you can go to ebay and put "Humanism has the answers" into search and it will lead you to a bumper sticker that you can use to do so. It's a good idea to not actually apply it to the plastic bumpers on today's cars, but I put mine on a back window. If people notice it, it could give you a chance to educate them about ethics without the myth and superstition of religion.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Ready

I fear most of the likely respondents would be pretty uneducable.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:51 AM

As one who is more spiritual then religious in nature. Asked by churchgoers over the years just what this means.
Tell them I do not need the fear of eternal fire or a group of others reinforcing by belief in doing and being good towards others.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsup1000 View Post
As most of you know, Humanism is the ethical standard used by many atheists showing that no "divine" intervention is needed to establish the rules in a society which benefit the greatest majority of members. If you are a proud Humanist and would like to show it off to the world, you can go to ebay and put "Humanism has the answers" into search and it will lead you to a bumper sticker that you can use to do so. It's a good idea to not actually apply it to the plastic bumpers on today's cars, but I put mine on a back window. If people notice it, it could give you a chance to educate them about ethics without the myth and superstition of religion.
The words "morality" and "atheist" can not be used in conjunction. They are mutually exclusive. The god of an atheist is himself. And a true atheist with a modicum of human intellect understands that if we are simply an accident of nature, no act is moral or immoral, any more than ice freezing in asphalt and creating potholes is moral or immoral, for nothing has meaning. There is no "Why". And without "why", there is no purpose or morality.

Feel free to wipe out the entire human race. It's as much an amoral act as killing the weeds on your driveway is.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. And by "fear", I mean recognizing who created you and acknowledging that ultimately he is in charge and created you for a purpose. The rest is just playing games with reality.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
As one who is more spiritual then religious in nature. Asked by churchgoers over the years just what this means.
Tell them I do not need the fear of eternal fire or a group of others reinforcing by belief in doing and being good towards others.
You and I are in complete agreement there. I'm a believer in CI (conditional immortality. The bible is actually pretty clear on the subject. We are all born into these temporary human bodies - the natural man - and then that body dies.

But Jesus offers a better way that was planned before the creation of this age. We can simply acknowledge him as savior from that death and we can be spiritually born to join with Him in the next ages. Until one is spiritually born, they are, for all intents and purposes, an NPC.

BTW, a description of CI:
https://www.jewishnotgreek.com/
Old 07-04-2020, 11:05 AM

The words "morality" and "atheist" can not be used in conjunction. They are mutually exclusive. The god of an atheist is himself. And a true atheist with a modicum of human intellect understands that if we are simply an accident of nature, no act is moral or immoral, any more than ice freezing in asphalt and creating potholes is moral or immoral, for nothing has meaning. There is no "Why". And without "why", there is no purpose or morality.

Feel free to wipe out the entire human race. It's as much an amoral act as killing the weeds on your driveway is.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. And by "fear", I mean recognizing who created you and acknowledging that ultimately he is in charge and created you for a purpose. The rest is just playing games with reality.

Retort: So much wrong with the reply above. Atheism is the lack of belief in a "God" and does not contain a moral philosophy, per se. As previously stated, Humanism is the ethical construct used by a great many atheists.
The first need is to define Humanism: an understanding that humans alone are responsible for their short-term and long-term conduct in society with no need for a "divine" input. As such, humanism has been around since the dawn of "civilization" as evolution produced the first homo genus creatures. As soon as people began to congregate, there was a realization that certain codes of conduct (ethics) would make their interactions more stable. And thus rules such as no stealing, no lying, leave the other person's sexual mate alone, be respectful towards others, came into being. Well in advance of any "Ten Commandments", for certain.
And "wisdom" comes not from "fear", but from CURIOSITY about the world around us and LEARNING through various techniques what it is about.
And Humanism has the answers without resorting to "fear" or myth or superstition, as does religion.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsup1000 View Post

Retort: So much wrong with the reply above. Atheism is the lack of belief in a "God" and does not contain a moral philosophy, per se. As previously stated, Humanism is the ethical construct used by a great many atheists.
The first need is to define Humanism: an understanding that humans alone are responsible for their short-term and long-term conduct in society with no need for a "divine" input. As such, humanism has been around since the dawn of "civilization" as evolution produced the first homo genus creatures. As soon as people began to congregate, there was a realization that certain codes of conduct (ethics) would make their interactions more stable. And thus rules such as no stealing, no lying, leave the other person's sexual mate alone, be respectful towards others, came into being. Well in advance of any "Ten Commandments", for certain.
And "wisdom" comes not from "fear", but from CURIOSITY about the world around us and LEARNING through various techniques what it is about.
And Humanism has the answers without resorting to "fear" or myth or superstition, as does religion.
If there is no divine input, nothing has purpose. A thing can not give itself purpose. It can only believe it can give itself purpose. At the end of the day, if there is no God, no man has purpose and mankind itself has no purpose. You can rape, kill and pillage without consequence other than more powerful people killing or enslaving you for doing it. And you're gonna die no matter what you do anyway. Life is truly and utterly pointless. Giving it some sort of purpose in your mind can keep you sane, but without a creator and purpose, that is only playing games with what is real.

Humanism is a dead end philosophy.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Indeed. They're quite Insane.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I think you're right. Re-education camps might help.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Indeed. They're quite Insane.
I guess that leaves me out.