Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I have always wondered where the ACLU got the nerve to include the A.
I'm curious, Rob. Why do you say that?

John
Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I kinda like the ACLU, but not for any reason associated with liberal ideology. I think we need an organization with the clout and legal expertise who is willing/able to take on the powers-that-be. Given the chance, I think industry and government will often take positions that threaten to erode civil liberties. I'd rather have the ACLU step in with its lawyers and communications staff on controversial issues than a bunch of whacked-out teabaggers.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I kinda like the ACLU, but not for any reason associated with liberal ideology. I think we need an organization with the clout and legal expertise who is willing/able to take on the powers-that-be. Given the chance, I think industry and government will often take positions that threaten to erode civil liberties. I'd rather have the ACLU step in with its lawyers and communications staff on controversial issues than a bunch of whacked-out teabaggers.
Wasn't Socrates the first self-described gadfly. I think that term fits the role of the ACLU rather well. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I'm curious, Rob. Why do you say that?

John
They have had some rather strange advocacies of late, such as their 'open borders' stance, or against employers being required to ensure that their employees are legally here.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Yeah, an' excuse me, but I don't see where we MUST extend the constitutional rights of American Citizens to those who are either 1) Illegally here, and/or 2) Trying to do us and our country harm.. Sheik Yerbouty & Co. oughta be glad that they're still alive...I'm sure if the situation were reversed, and American citizens had attacked Mecca, Riyadh, some place like that, the Saudis would have been equally concerned about THEIR rights-Right up to the time where the knife blade met the necks...I mean, yeah, I'm glad we have the ACLU, but to me, they really ought to stick to issues that concern AMERICANS...And quit going off on tangents about the rights of "Freedom Fighters" who fly airplanes into buildings...And while we're at it on the ACLU, I've always found it interesting as to how they are very selective on what "Rights" they choose to protect...Put up a creche in the town square at Christmas-'scuse me, "Winter Solstice"-and everybody goes ballistic, but if I ever needed help on a certain Amendment that is after the First but before the Third, they're virtually ALWAYS silent...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Sandy, that's not the ACLU. It's just the Constitution. It wasn't even particularly controversial until Bush started ignoring the Constitution.

Also, I'm really uncomfortable with the argument that it's somehow okay to ignore our own law because in other countries with different laws our citizens would be treated differently. If anything, that's all the more reason to adhere to our own laws and our Constitution

John
Old 03-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Sandy, that's not the ACLU. It's just the Constitution. It wasn't even particularly controversial until Bush started ignoring the Constitution.

Also, I'm really uncomfortable with the argument that it's somehow okay to ignore our own law because in other countries with different laws our citizens would be treated differently. If anything, that's all the more reason to adhere to our own laws and our Constitution

John
Bush started ignoring the Constitution?

No doubt he did, but that's been a pretty popular pass time for our masters for years.

And I must agree with Sandy. The ACLU does appear to select causes to champion that would not have been my first choice. Other than that, I suppose they are a good organization.

Chas
Old 03-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It's a shame the ACLU went political.

Pete
Old 03-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
It's a shame the ACLU went political.

Pete
Defending against civil liberties transgressions by the powers-that-be is inherently political. I'm not a fan of each and every one of their causes, but rest assured that their political opponents are well-armed (with lawyers, influence, money, etc.).
Old 03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I saw a history of them a while back, I think PBS, they said there was a fight in the beginning for control, they went left.

Pete