Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Actually, it shouldn't make a difference one way or the other.

John
You are correct and I was waiting for this as I reread what I typed.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Resident octogenarian

In truth, I find that I can usually find many reasons to like or dislike people that the color of their skin usually never enters my thoughts.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM

I think most of my black friends consider themselves to be Americans. They were born here, as were their fathers and grandfathers. In PC terms, I guess I'm an English / German / Blackfoot American. It's ridiculous IMO.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Area Man

We're all Americans, Jay. I'm more than happy just to be called an American.

But, I see nothing wrong with acknowledging where ones ancestry originates.
Scottish-American, Euro-American or White-American would not offend me. If a given black person doesn't mind, or prefers, being called African-American, that's fine with me.

As far as the whole hyphenated, _______-American thing goes, that would be a matter of personal preference. People do tend to identify themselves in groups to some degree. So, politicians who wish to court the support of these various groups have to call them something and preferably something that doesn't offend them. Saying you're going to meet with "the towelheads" to court their vote would surely be counter-productive. "Arab-American community" would get you much further, to be sure.

Dave
Old 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Ancestry and heritage are. The two words are pretty much synonyms.

John
My black friends might disagree a bit. They feel that if the culture is not passed down with the genes it isn't truly their's. Many of them have grown up with an "American" culture passed down from their parents and grandparents and feel that after a few generations they have an American heritage, not African. Had it been their parents that came from Africa it may well be different, but we are talking several generations removed from African descent.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
My black friends might disagree a bit. They feel that if the culture is not passed down with the genes it isn't truly their's. Many of them have grown up with an "American" culture passed down from their parents and grandparents and feel that after a few generations they have an American heritage, not African. Had it been their parents that came from Africa it may well be different, but we are talking several generations removed from African descent.
Very interesting perspective.

On the other and, I enjoy the diversity of cultures that are available in the US. We have Latin influenced culture; several ethnic groups of European descent maintain a cultural identity (Pete likes to mention Polish cooking, and I like to eat Italian, Greek, Mexican and Asian cooking); Asian culture clearly has its influence as does African Culture. It is true that as generations become more separated in time from the country of their families' origin, many people are less influenced by such culture. But I would find it a huge loss for us to become completely homogenized as a society. In a perfect world, the ethnic differences give us an opportunity to experience variety rather than a reason to discriminate.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-03-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
In a perfect world, the ethnic differences give us an opportunity to experience variety rather than a reason to discriminate.

Regards,

D-Ray
It occurs to me that our imperfect world may explain MPH's friends' eschewal of their heritage. Rather than a source of pride and distinction, African culture and heritage may instead be a source of pain and even shame, owing to the dominant culture's treatment of Africans and African-descended people throughout history. That would be a real tragedy.

John
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM
reflexionar

I really am not sure it is all that complicated. I am Swiss, German, English and French. My grandmother moved here from Switzerland. I don't consider myself a Swiss/American, a German/American, etc. To me I am just 100% American. Funny part is there is no Dutch
Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I really am not sure it is all that complicated. I am Swiss, German, English and French. My grandmother moved here from Switzerland. I don't consider myself a Swiss/American, a German/American, etc. To me I am just 100% American. Funny part is there is no Dutch
Are you sure? Those Dutch are a pretty sneakey lot!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Very interesting perspective.

On the other and, I enjoy the diversity of cultures that are available in the US. We have Latin influenced culture; several ethnic groups of European descent maintain a cultural identity (Pete likes to mention Polish cooking, and I like to eat Italian, Greek, Mexican and Asian cooking); Asian culture clearly has its influence as does African Culture. It is true that as generations become more separated in time from the country of their families' origin, many people are less influenced by such culture. But I would find it a huge loss for us to become completely homogenized as a society. In a perfect world, the ethnic differences give us an opportunity to experience variety rather than a reason to discriminate.

Regards,

D-Ray
I think I've stated before;

This is why I never went back to my hometown. 98% White. It's not that I have a problem with white folks, it's just that there is nothing else there. I like the diversity of this area. We have a bit of everything.

I find that too much of one race in a relatively isolated area like that is where the racial ignorance is at it's worst. I hear comments that drive me nuts, when I visit there.