Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) – A government think-tank today proposed a controversial new law, “No Politician Left Behind,” which would pay congressmen solely on the basis of performance.

The law, which was proposed by the University of Minnesota’s Institute of Government, “would make a serious dent in the Federal deficit because few if any congressmen would ever have to be paid,” said the Institute’s director, Davis Logsdon.

“Right now, congressmen get paid even when they storm out of budget negotiations in a hissy fit,” Mr. Logsdon said. “Under this new law, the rule would be, no budget, no paycheck.”

The idea of being paid per accomplishment drew howls of protest from lawmakers, many claiming that if the law were enacted it would result in their financial ruin.

“If passed, this law would be tantamount to the establishment of ‘Work Panels,’ which would determine whether individual congressmen are accomplishing anything,” said Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA). “I, for one, would be in deep, deep trouble.”

“I’m fairly sure that this law is unconstitutional,” said Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY). “Now, I have never actually read the Constitution, but if this law were passed I would probably be forced to read it or live in a cardboard box.”

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said that creating performance standards for lawmakers was “an insult to the institution of Congress.”

“We have spent millions of dollars, some of it out of our own pockets, to get to Washington,” he said. “We did not come here to be treated like teachers.”

I would like to ask Mr.John Boehner...why not? Standards met should be standards earned. They after all...work for us! Err...should... It sounds good to me! In order for taxpayers and American Citizens to qualify for certain government programs certain criteria MUST be met. NOT if you are illegal Aliens OR new residents to another State. Buck up Bucco...
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
Dude...and this guy is the leader of the free world? Get a damn clue and stop watching PBS. I and nobody who can think for themselves gives a God Damn about that partisan, state run media has to say.
Also, most Americans do NOT support raising the debt ceiling. It's that idiot in the White House who doesn't think Congress is relevant anymore and that he is Emperor. This idot has lost control because it's him who's holding the USA hostage.
Please stop spewing your lefty crap and trying to snow people you're non-partison at the sametime...it's sickening. Hey guy, you're just not that smart! In fact, if you believe what you posted, you're a Moron.

Amen Bro
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Area Man

Quote:
I find you lecturing me on moronic cluelessness very amusing indeed.

BTW, here's the PBS feature I referred to. View it yourself and compare the coverage to that one hears on Faux or talk radio.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/polit...ebt_07-12.html
Amen, Bro.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

No condemnation of Obamas' fearmongering from the left?

Pete
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Area Man

When the right stops denying that they do the same. Until then, I simply shrug and say, "That's politics."

Dave
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
No condemnation of Obamas' fearmongering from the left?

Pete
When Jay Powell, former Under Secretary of the Treasury for Finance under President George H.W. Bush and now of the Bipartisan Policy Center, says Obama was correct in his assertion regarding SS payments on August 3, how is it fearmongering?

I think it's more an issue of the Right being defensive when Obama calls their bluff on their potentially damaging tactics in this whole debate/debacle.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Area Man

Quote:
When Jay Powell, former Under Secretary of the Treasury for Finance under President George H.W. Bush and now of the Bipartisan Policy Center, says Obama was correct in his assertion regarding SS payments on August 3, how is it fearmongering?

I think it's more an issue of the Right being defensive when Obama calls their bluff on their potentially damaging tactics in this whole debate/debacle.
+1.

Dave
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
When the right stops denying that they do the same. Until then, I simply shrug and say, "That's politics."

Dave
Unless Rush's doing it

And baloney re: fearmongering by Obie. Every major player/ decicion maker in Washington knows there is no chance we'll default, therefore, he is using the old folks for political gain. Change?

Pete
Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Unless Rush's doing it

And baloney re: fearmongering by Obie. Every major player/ decicion maker in Washington knows there is no chance we'll default, therefore, he is using the old folks for political gain. Change?

Pete
I'd take bets except for the fact that my 401k is now a 201k.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LOL! Or is it :cry:

If there was a way I could bet my entire '201k' on not defaulting I would do it.

Pete