Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:15 PM

Colorado to vote on a single payer medical system this fall

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29...th-care-system

I don't know enough about the proposal yet to discuss it intelligently. I'll do some research and get back to you folks. I am worried though. We passed recreational marijuana laws. That has been a CATASTROPHIC even for our youth!!

We deserve what we get when we are too lazy or stupid to vote smart
Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 PM

On paper sounds like a good plan. The insurance industry will fight tooth and nail since their 30% is being cut out. Expect some big money spent on TV ads and lobbyists to come out of the woodwork. Testing the waters at this time probably.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
On paper sounds like a good plan. The insurance industry will fight tooth and nail since their 30% is being cut out. Expect some big money spent on TV ads and lobbyists to come out of the woodwork. Testing the waters at this time probably.
You're right. The insurance companies will be screaming blood murder. This will be interesting to watch.

Vermont couldn't pull it off because there simply aren't enough people there to make the numbers work (#49 in population out of 50). Colorado, on the other hand, is pretty much right in the middle at #22 so it should be a good test of the state-by-state model for single payer.

How'd you change your screen name, Raj?
Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
You're right. The insurance companies will be screaming blood murder. This will be interesting to watch.

Vermont couldn't pull it off because there simply aren't enough people there to make the numbers work (#49 in population out of 50). Colorado, on the other hand, is pretty much right in the middle at #22 so it should be a good test of the state-by-state model for single payer.

How'd you change your screen name, Raj?
Blackmail, threatened to leave the forum.
Seriously, I requested a change and and the administration acquiesced.

The real problem I see is what are they going to do to people that will move to Colorado simply for free/cheap medical care but do not work or unable to contribute into the plan.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Blackmail, threatened to leave the forum.
Seriously, I requested a change and and the administration acquiesced.

The real problem I see is what are they going to do to people that will move to Colorado simply for free/cheap medical care but do not work or unable to contribute into the plan.
Last year we had approximately 10% growth in population. Partly because of the marijuana laws, partly because of our economy. I am certain on affected the other. It has made housing nearly unaffordable for those who have lived here their whole life. People brought in big equity from the previous homes(read as Californians). Our homeless population has increased severely as well. If what you say does happen, it will be catastrophic.

What I want to see is how the model is supposed to work. Probably loaded with fairy dust and other trickle down economic magic.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Last year we had approximately 10% growth in population. Partly because of the marijuana laws, partly because of our economy. I am certain on affected the other. It has made housing nearly unaffordable for those who have lived here their whole life. People brought in big equity from the previous homes(read as Californians). Our homeless population has increased severely as well. If what you say does happen, it will be catastrophic.

What I want to see is how the model is supposed to work. Probably loaded with fairy dust and other trickle down economic magic.
When I lived in Colorado all the cowboys and cowgirls sported bumper stickers that read "DON'T CALIFORNICATE COLORADO".

I guess they didn't work.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
When I lived in Colorado all the cowboys and cowgirls sported bumper stickers that read "DON'T CALIFORNICATE COLORADO".

I guess they didn't work.
We have another one too. It says "Welcome to Colorado, now go home!"
Old 03-07-2016, 05:53 PM

Here is the general outline of the proposition.
Employers will have to pay 6.7% tax to the state. Employees will have to pay an additional 3.3%. This tax rate will equal about 25 BILLION dollars a year. There is little documentation that outlines the procedures and business model of how this will function. There is virtually no accountability for the board of directors that will over see the system. Lastly, it will be an amendment to the Colorado Constitution. THAT IS VERY BAD

If it should pass into law, then to change it or repeal it, here in Colorado, it would take 66% of all of the registered voters to vote and agree to the change. IIRC, a really good voter turnout approaches 40%. We would never, ever, get that many voters to turn out, much less agree on what needs done.

I have not seen any single payer models, ever. I hear about them, I hear people complain about them, but I have never seen any written documents. I would need to see the system, its benefits, and its procedures in written format before I would agree to anything.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 PM

I hear good things about single payer systems.
In the long run, there are better outcomes with less cost.
Thee are many studies and lots of research and working models that verify that.
And.... If we keep preventative care as the cornerstone of the legislation, we will reap many benefits in years to come.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
I have not seen any single payer models, ever. I hear about them, I hear people complain about them, but I have never seen any written documents. I would need to see the system, its benefits, and its procedures in written format before I would agree to anything.
You've never seen one?

They are all over the world except for here.

In fact we have one here too.

Over 50 million Americans are covered by it.

Medicare.

I'm one of those over 50 million and I can attest that it's awesome.