Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Israel is much more afraid of the Muslim Brotherhood being thrust into power by populations who have a sincere dislike of Israels' existence than the old system of despotic dictators who used the Israeli's as a bogeyman to keep their own downtrodden and poor citizens under wraps. I am sure Israel would prefer to have Assad and Mubarak to deal with right now than crusading democracies who may actually want to really destroy them.

Last edited by icenine; 03-09-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Israel is much more afraid of the Muslim Brotherhood being thrust into power by populations who have a sincere dislike of Israel' existence than the old system of despotic dictators who used the Israeli's as a bogeyman to keep their own downtrodden and poor citizens under wraps. I am sure Israel would prefer to have Assad and Mubarak to deal with right now than crusading democracies who may actually want to really destroy them.
If the state is splintered, weakened and many factions fighting each other who cares about the brotherhood. The brotherhood can be proxied.

What is feared is a cohesive vibrant state.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
If the state is splintered, weakened and many factions fighting each other who cares about the brotherhood. The brotherhood can be proxied.

Yeah a cohesive state being run by an idealistic (to themselves anyway) Muslim Brotherhood who are true believers when it comes to defeating Israel. We may have to send troops to Israel someday to protect that nation's existence. Israel has two nations on her borders that are far from stable( Egypt and Syria) and where we can quote Mr. Strummer and say "the future is unwritten." Then we have Iraq...will they follow are lead or will they join the anti-Israel coalition?

I am fairly conventional I do support Israel although I am against the far right wing there.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I am sure Israel would prefer to have Assad and Mubarak to deal with right now than crusading democracies who may actually want to really destroy them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
I'm not sure I'd yet consider any of the Arab Spring countries to be crusading democracies or cohesive vibrant states, either of which Israel would probably be thrilled to have as a neighbor. I'm not sure how I would characterize Egypt, Syria, Libya or Yemen, but democracies or vibrant states would be close to my last choices.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 PM

I am making the point that should these states become democracies Israel will still face challenges. I am not calling them that yet. The situation is very fluid. My larger point is that the Arab Spring is not necessarily a good thing for stability in the region vis-a-vis Israel.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 PM

None of the states you mention Finnbow are anything like they were two years ago.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I am making the point that should these states become democracies Israel will still face challenges. I am not calling them that yet. The situation is very fluid. My larger point is that the Arab Spring is not necessarily a good thing for stability in the region vis-a-vis Israel.
Quote:
None of the states you mention Finnbow are anything like they were two years ago.
I agree completely. What exactly were we disagreeing upon exactly?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 PM

Sorry lol
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Jigsawed

My point is Israel greater fear|: an anti Israeli state which is not under the US thumb but is functionally together and with the potential to challenge Israel.

Iraq was once such a state. Israel bombed their nuclear aspiration and America took care of the rest.

Syria was once such a state. Israel also bombed its nuclear ambition. It is now eating itself.

As to Egypt. This state is bought by the USA. The Brotherhood is compromised and has enough opposition to keep it off balance.

The real challenge now is Iran. Just listen to the pressure!

Last edited by Dondilion; 03-10-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM

Or a government-less Syria with Al-Queda elements doing all sorts of bad things; a new Somalia is not a good thing in the Middle East right now.