Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator

I'm 39 and I'm a dumbass. But with my birthday next year there's a glimmer of hope
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I'm 39 and I'm a dumbass. But with my birthday next year there's a glimmer of hope
Just give it a few months and you'll be smart as us "well grayed" folks.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Well that's a pretty sucky attitude. Maybe they should raise the voting age to 60 when people finally know everything
With a generation raised on Family Guy, or the Simpsons, or American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars, or Survivour to expect miracles is a bit much. There are exceptions, our young British friend displays an acumen beyond his years.

We had a saying, "When I was 18 I thought my father was pretty stupid, I was amazed at how much he had learned by the time I was 21."

Given our half assed political system I suppose it does not much matter who we let vote.

People constantly moan about how poorly the government works. Imagine if a company had most of senior management swapped out every 4 or 8 years and replaced with people whose only qualification was that they were owed favours by the Chairman of the Board. The big surprise is that it even works at all.

Or imagine a company where the Board of Directors needs the 'advise and consent' of their competitors before they can hire the senior management. Where any one of their competitors can arbitrarily put a 'hold' on any of these senior appointments.

Or where they need a super majority of both friends and competitors before they can even discuss the company direction and plans, let alone implement such plans.

I just noticed in another thread a reference to the Electoral College, now there is as good a reason as any to believe that your vote is a waste of time.

There may be political systems that lend themselves more to farce but I cannot think of one off-hand.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-02-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
With a generation raised on Family Guy, or the Simpsons, or American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars, or Survivour to expect miracles is a bit much. There are exceptions
You really think that the majority of the 'grown up' public know what they're doing when they vote? Because, if so, you may be the first person I've ever met who thinks that.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Let me think. We as a society say that 18 year olds are not smart/responsible enough to legally drink a beer, yet they're smart/responible enough to vote. Does not compute.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post
You really think that the majority of the 'grown up' public know what they're doing when they vote? Because, if so, you may be the first person I've ever met who thinks that.
No I do not, but given the sad state of the media here it would be unfair to expect them all to know what in hell is going on.

Recent political ads have (to be kind) bent the truth a wee bit, if not outright lied, but no one confronts the lies. Frex, Ethanol Grassley and Bishop Hatch both spread lies about the British and Canadian healthcare systems in the recent Congress with little confrontation. I expect it from Grassley, but the Bishop - for shame.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Area Man

Right, so the drinking age and the voting age should be the same so more can vote drunk......I see where you're going with this.

Dave
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Given our half assed political system I suppose it does not much matter who we let vote.

Including you and I.

People constantly moan about how poorly the government works. Imagine if a company had most of senior management swapped out every 4 or 8 years and replaced with people whose only qualification was that they were owed favours by the Chairman of the Board. The big surprise is that it even works at all.

Or imagine a company where the Board of Directors needs the 'advise and consent' of their competitors before they can hire the senior management. Where any one of their competitors can arbitrarily put a 'hold' on any of these senior appointments.

Or where they need a super majority of both friends and competitors before they can even discuss the company direction and plans, let alone implement such plans.

No, most companies are run by nepotism.

I just noticed in another thread a reference to the Electoral College, now there is as good a reason as any to believe that your vote is a waste of time.

There may be political systems that lend themselves more to farce but I cannot think of one off-hand.

I'm waiting to hear you mention how much better Canada is, once again.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Damn multiquote not working!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Recent political ads have (to be kind) bent the truth a wee bit, if not outright lied, but no one confronts the lies. Frex, Ethanol Grassley and Bishop Hatch both spread lies about the British and Canadian healthcare systems in the recent Congress with little confrontation. I expect it from Grassley, but the Bishop - for shame.
I didn't have to wait long, did I?

Tags
election, rights, vote, youth