Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's a fight over who runs the schools--tenured educational professionals, backed by a union and managed by a school board of similar mind, or ideologs who have politicized the school board to gain power.

To be sure, the education establishment has frequently been highly eligible for criticism for being complacent, bureaucratic, self-serving and, sometimes, liberal.

These radical RW changes are, of course, a harmful reaction. I'm particularly troubled by the devaluing of subjects like art and history. The ideological dislike that clearly informs this strike against the 'liberal arts' threatens the continued transmission of centuries of Western social development. But the need for their wisdom and insight and consciousness of human values is only increasing as the engines of science and technology continue transforming the planet. Dr. King had this very problem in mind back in the 1960's, when he observed:

Of course, there may not be room for the ideas of Martin Luther King in this brave new educational world.
Good quotation DQ,

Here a lady recently started asort of supply center wher teachers could come and collect supplies. She did this as teachers here in some counties were spending up to $1000 of their own monies to provide supplies for their pupils. Oh but I forget they are overpaid and so can afford it.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Good quotation DQ,

Here a lady recently started asort of supply center wher teachers could come and collect supplies. She did this as teachers here in some counties were spending up to $1000 of their own monies to provide supplies for their pupils. Oh but I forget they are overpaid and so can afford it.
Teachers here have been buying student essentials out of their own pocket on this coast too for years now Rob. It is truly shameful we as a nation allow a situation like that to occur in the first place.

Carl
Old 11-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Resident octogenarian

Well Carl the way we look at it,if you embarass easily you should emigrate.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

In inner city Cleveland the poor single mothers cry when their request for vouchers is denied. Dang those women! Don't they know preserving the teachers' union is more important than their kids reading?

Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Ready

Anecdotal emotional ladies. THAT's the thing to make policy on!

Or maybe there's a moderate path towards school reform where more kids get to read, but we don't go totally Brave New World?

(I'm assuming people know 'Brave New World?' Dystopian futuristic novel by Aldous Huxley? Written in 1931, features genetic engineering of humans, and likewise pervasive social engineering of the culture and extensive conditioning to control behavior. Forget Shakespere. Dates back to 1931, and remains amazingly pertinent. Very worth reading if you missed it. Very unlikely to be in the new improved Koch curriculum. Who needs literature anyway?)

Last edited by donquixote99; 11-04-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I've seen the women on the local news actually crying because they didn't win the lottery. Take it as you wish.

How do we get reform when the system is so calcified/patronage-ified? When the Democrat mayor of Cleveland enlisted the Governors help to get some reform the unions and left called him a traitor.

Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Ready

Damned if I know, in the war to the knife, it's all on the line every time political culture.

Hardly any chance for anything sensible to happen.

And I didn't mean 'annecdotal' as in 'I bet someone made it up.' I meant the feelings of a few ladies aren't the way to measure reality and design policy affecting thousands or millions.

Last edited by donquixote99; 11-04-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I largely agree with you, but Cleveland schools are crapholes, and that's known.

Also there isn't the battle-it-out right vs left in Cleveland, it's ALL left.

Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM

So inner city Cleveland is fully representational of the entire USA? You learn something new everyday.

Carl
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

So you are OK with different places doing different things? I thought the left wanted Federal conformity

Pete