Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:12 AM

Stop the insanity

Ok I have A question,,Does any one feel that the common everyday living is getting more stressfull and do you think the younger generations coming up will be stronger ,or show signs of being stressed?I just do not think that the world of my youth is the same as it is now.there seems to be more hoops to jump through and the laws are so numerous anymore.Is it just me,or is it getting harder to just live a simple existance?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Area Man

"Is it just me,or is it getting harder to just live a simple existance?"

No, it isn't just you. The bar has been raised and some intend to raise it even higher, while seeing to it that reaching the bar will be far less rewarding.

I wish I had been born thirty years earlier. It's not that I think it would have been utopian by any means. It's just that I think I would have enjoyed catching life in America on the rise, rather than the shit we have now. I could have entered the workforce and left the workforce while the getting was good.

You know; Before we saw American workers having it good and started trying to "fix" it.

Dave
Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
"Is it just me,or is it getting harder to just live a simple existance?"

No, it isn't just you. The bar has been raised and some intend to raise it even higher, while seeing to it that reaching the bar will be far less rewarding.

I wish I had been born thirty years earlier. It's not that I think it would have been utopian by any means. It's just that I think I would have enjoyed catching life in America on the rise, rather than the shit we have now. I could have joined the workfore and left the workforce while the getting was good.

You know; Before we saw American workers having it good and started trying to "fix" it.

Dave
Dave,THat is how I feel also ,I feel as if I came along at the end of what was considered the American Dream,Altough I have great memories of my youth I feel Like I missed a lot.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Resident octogenarian

Definitely more stressfull now than thirty years ago. Much less rewarding so for all the extra stress you recieve no benefit. I have no idea what things are like back home now but life was quieter despite a nasty divorce. Watching the PBS Newshour last night Mark and David were reading the tealeaves of that Florida election and making dire predictions. I turned to Florence and said suppose those idiot Repubs take over, do we sell and move to Canada? Basic answer was 'I am with you'.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:44 AM

Oh, I don't know.... I think it's easy to remember the good stuff and forget that the good old days weren't all that good for everybody.

The American dream has always been a myth. The carrot that dangles enticingly while we work at surviving.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:03 AM

How do you feel if the cell phone was left at home or is dead? I see people all the time texting rushing around.

The young having grown up with all the multi tasking seem to be acclimated. But this is an illusion in reality for they have little consternation. Get bored easily quit give up if something takes to long. Want instant gratification as a general rule I have noticed.

Barney
Old 03-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Oh, I don't know.... I think it's easy to remember the good stuff and forget that the good old days weren't all that good for everybody.

The American dream has always been a myth. The carrot that dangles enticingly while we work at surviving.
Yea,but now we do not even have a dream to look foward to,I see what you are saying,But things were simpler,now that the banks and goverment have had time to figure things out and have most of the dots and T's crossed,it is a bigger snare to get caught in.

Basicly I sit at my desk about 4-5 hours a day zooming in and out of conciesness and just remembering,Bout all I have left other than taking care of my wife and dogs.but all n all no regrets its been a hoot.I just have so much symphathy for the younger generatrions.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
How do you feel if the cell phone was left at home or is dead? I see people all the time texting rushing around.

The young having grown up with all the multi tasking seem to be acclimated. But this is an illusion in reality for they have little consternation. Get bored easily quit give up if something takes to long. Want instant gratification as a general rule I have noticed.

Barney
Barney,You can call it virtual life now,LOL
Old 03-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
Barney,You can call it virtual life now,LOL
My youngest was over on Sunday. Bored with his job, girlfriend and his life. Graduated last year a double major and has a very good paying job. Lives on his own looking for a house. Has money in the bank and good health.

Told him by the time I was his age was married almost five years still in collage working two jobs. So enjoy what he has and move on before life catches up with him.

Barney
Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Personally, I believe every generation feels that way (nostalgia) and our best days as a people, nation and society are ahead of us: we just won't recognize it until it is behind us.

For example, anyone who believes late 2001-2008 was more stressful than 1966-1972 has lost a sense of perspective.