Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Area Man

Didn't Mr. Gates support Obama? I've always like B.G., I just wish that he and Melinda would do more of their charitable work here, in the U.S., a good man who has improved all of our lives. On the other hand we have wealthy men like Limbaugh. Who does nothing but sit on his fat ass and bitch about how much he hates the poor. Unfortunately, that worthless POS is what so many Americans admire these days...God help us.

Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb View Post
I knew that would get these responses. It was just a jab in fun. I forgot to put the grinny face behind it. If we don't throw one in there once in awhile yall get boring.
Go Saints!
As suspected.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Off of company insurance plan, and into "public option", Dave.

But there is no public option. So its just the evil biz owners saving a buck at the workers expense.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But there is no public option. So its just the evil biz owners saving a buck at the workers expense.
We're going through this now. As a member of "management" there are going to be some bad days ahead.

Here's the thing- it's just how our economy works. Publicly traded companies are about much more than making a profit. In fact, it seems they're more about driving a stock price than actually making money. So in an industry like mine- broadcasting- when new competition comes along it gets very tricky. We still make money- lots of it. But Internet, cable, smart phones and a bunch of other stuff I don't really understand came along and our industry started to decline. Stock prices are driven with growth.

So if you can't grow you have to contain costs. So that's what we're doing. Making millions and millions of dollars, but pushed to make huge cuts in an effort to elevate a stock price.

So what's the answer? I hate to sound like a broken record, but there need to be strong unions and appropriate regulation.

What's really ironic is that none of us are immune. A very good friend of mine just lost his job in Los Angeles. Being a department head and one of the best in our business didn't make any difference.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

I know.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My God, you guys are smart.........

Now, down at my simpleminded level.

Had another interesting conversation at work tonight. A couple of co-workers were discussing the concept of universal healthcare, as I was on the shop computer writing up my shift report. And this is what I hear; "Besides, you know damn well that if that public option thing had passed that employers would just start unloading people onto it by the millions so they don't have to pay for medical insurance anymore." "Yep, and then everyone would be stuck with it for life, no more free choice. And OUR taxes would go up to pay for it all. Fuck that." "Yeah, it's bullshit, why would any workin' stiff want that?"

So, I finish my work, log off the computer, push my chair back and join the conversation.
"Maybe so."
"Maybe so, what, Dave?"
"Maybe our taxes go up some. But consider a few things. First of all, you say employers would dump employees off of their plans."
"Yeah, of course they would."
"And who could blame them, that's a shitload of money, so much that a lot of companies claim that is one of, if not the biggest burden on them financially, right?"
"Right."
"So maybe if they unload this burden they become more competative and able to create more jobs? And what's wrong with that?"
"Our taxes will go up, and we don't get anything for it, fuck that."
"Nothing, Huh? You don't gain coverage you can't lose? You get laid off, it's there. You change jobs, no more waiting for your new coverage to kick in, it's there all the while. You can't be denied for a pre-existing condition. You become disabled and can't work, and it takes you a while to adapt and find another way to support yourself, but you never lose coverage through the entire process----None of this has any value to you guys?"
(Blank stare.)
"None at all, Huh. The status quo sounds superior to this somehow? And, besides, when was the last time either one of you had any real choice anyhow? Think about it, your whole lives you have pretty much had to take the insurance your employer offered or do without. That's about the only fuckin' choice you've ever had. Right?"

As I get up and head back out on the floor to shut my line down for the night, a raised voice behind me says;
"Yeah, well, this is America, and we believe you should have to WORK for the shit! You don't like it go live somewhere else! Ha, ha, ha."

Shaking my head, I calmly reply; "Thanks for the opinion, Rush."

Sheep. Sorry, but that's how I see it. Just a bunch of sheep doing whatever the barking dogs on FauxNews and the EIB Network tell them to.

Regards,

Dave
Excellent post, Dave.

How many times have we heard that the main reason corporations can't make enough profit manufacturing in the US is because of insurance costs for their workers? Take some of that burden off their shoulders on the condition that they will hire x amount of workers using a percentage of that money.

I worked for Ford until it spun off into Visteon, then worked there until they closed the doors two years ago. Total time I worked there, 30 years. As the plant closed before I was 50, I wasn't eligible for health insurance because of my age. I have no insurance as a result. I'm drawing unemployment benefits while I'm going to college for a degree, and hoping I don't have any major health problems before I'm able to find a job.

A year after closing their plants Visteon files bankruptcy and stops paying their retirees' insurance across the board, regardless of their age. And people wonder why blue collar workers are hoping for SOME kind of workable universal healthcare plan?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Resident octogenarian

That is one of the reasons why I don't want the Republicans in power, I just can't afford them. When Bobby Haircut was governor here he let Flicker & Flash hike the electric rates 72%. When Dubya was in power drug prices ran rampant, oil prices went out the wazoo. If the Democrats can't do summat about it we will just have to find a third party.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

"Flicker and Flash"???

That's good stuff!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
we will just have to find a third party.
People are just fed up enough with the two money sucking incompetent partys we have now that one might even have a chance.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
"Flicker and Flash"???

That's good stuff!
Last year F&F were "changing taps" at our sub-station so they temporarily fed us from a more distant sub-station. Sitting at the computer my UPS unit kept beeping. Went down to my workshop and the flourescent lights were really making noise. Put a meter in one of the outlets - 149.6 volts! Ran around unplugging everything I could. By the time I hit the second floor it toasted two TV sets. That one cost F&F $750 for two new TVs because I had the record that my UPS made of the over voltage condition.

Which just goes to show, if you want something royally screwed up give it to private industry.