Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

What he said!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

As a sanforized citizen I swore to honour and defend the Constitution. There are days when I wonder if I am the only one in the country doing so.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
As a sanforized citizen I swore to honour and defend the Constitution. There are days when I wonder if I am the only one in the country doing so.
Rob as Diogenes...Well, sort of, anyway...(grin)
Old 06-24-2009, 02:33 PM

I think the problem with the characters mentioned (Rush, Savage, et al) is that people mistake them as credible sources for information which they really aren't. If people made just a little more effort to get actual information on events, they'd see pretty quickly that what these folks are are entertainers---people who are hired to push the buttons of the most base emotions such as fear, hatred, pride and feelings of separateness.

To do that, they dispense with such bedrock values as individual liberties, tolerance, and cooperation. Remember the expression "united we stand, divided we fall"? That does not mean clubbing everyone over the head until they agree with you, it means making room and getting along.

If you enjoy their kind of programming, I guess you can go right ahead. But the path they're leading you down can only end badly.

I'd challenge any regular listeners of these "entertainers" to unhook and seek sources of information that aren't wrapped in so much emotional reactivity. That way, you are left free free to feel how you really feel based on your own reactions to events with as full a picture as you can find.

As for me, when given a choice between hopeful, constructive, positive views and destructive, separatist, angry ones I'll choose the former, thank you.

And yes, I have spent hundreds of hours listening to these guys back when I drove for a living. They raise some really good points, but it's so wrapped in reactionary emotionality charged bullshit I eventually couldn't take it any longer.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

"I'd challenge any regular listeners of these "entertainers" to unhook and seek sources of information that aren't wrapped in so much emotional reactivity. That way, you are left free free to feel how you really feel based on your own reactions to events with as full a picture as you can find."

As for me, when given a choice between hopeful, constructive, positive views and destructive, separatist, angry ones I'll choose the former, thank you."

I'm willing to listen/watch/ learn. Who or where do you recommend that we turn?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Rob as Diogenes...Well, sort of, anyway...(grin)

A guard sees this man in a nightshirt walking around Parliament Hill in Ottawa carrying a lantern;

"Here" says the guard "You can't go around dressed like that, who do you think you are?"

Man "I am Diogenes, I am looking for an honest man"

A week later a guard on Capitol Hill in DC sees a man in a nightshirt,

"Here" says the guard "You can't walk around here dressed like that, who do you think you are?"

Man "I am Diogenes, I am looking for my lamp"
Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
I think the problem with the characters mentioned (Rush, Savage, et al) is that people mistake them as credible sources for information which they really aren't. If people made just a little more effort to get actual information on events, they'd see pretty quickly that what these folks are are entertainers---people who are hired to push the buttons of the most base emotions such as fear, hatred, pride and feelings of separateness.

To do that, they dispense with such bedrock values as individual liberties, tolerance, and cooperation. Remember the expression "united we stand, divided we fall"? That does not mean clubbing everyone over the head until they agree with you, it means making room and getting along.

If you enjoy their kind of programming, I guess you can go right ahead. But the path they're leading you down can only end badly.

I'd challenge any regular listeners of these "entertainers" to unhook and seek sources of information that aren't wrapped in so much emotional reactivity. That way, you are left free free to feel how you really feel based on your own reactions to events with as full a picture as you can find.

As for me, when given a choice between hopeful, constructive, positive views and destructive, separatist, angry ones I'll choose the former, thank you.

And yes, I have spent hundreds of hours listening to these guys back when I drove for a living. They raise some really good points, but it's so wrapped in reactionary emotionality charged bullshit I eventually couldn't take it any longer.
Full agreement here. The Editor of a small town newspaper recently wrote about the anger people are displaying. Schools..Town Board meetings...service related positions and children.
I noticed the same. Doesn't come from the drinking water...does it?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Resident octogenarian

No idea where it is all coming from, but I suspect these radio guys are not helping.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:16 PM

I think the truth is allways helpful.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I think the truth is allways helpful.
Alas...we all believe what we want to hear.

I think it is not wise for an emperor, or a king, or a president, to come down into the boxing ring, so to speak, and lower the dignity of his office by meddling in the small affairs of private citizens.
- Mark Twain in Eruption