Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Palin ?

Seeing her mentioned here a minute ago made me think. Did she hurt or help Mcain.

Question for men. How would you feel about a woman high political positions.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 AM

Concensus seems to think hurt. I'm mostly on board with that.

You know, I really am not concerned too much the general idea of a woman in a high political position, but I'm not too sure how that works out when we have to deal with countries where women are still WAY down the totem pole. That part I do think could be/is somewhat of a detriment.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 AM

I think she "ignited" the "true conservative" group, but overall may have hurt him. I'd take her for Prez. over the current guy anytime, and for that matter, over McCain as well.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 AM

McCain was doomed from the start, I think, Palin didn't really hurt/help either way. But I think she has a BRIGHT future...Between her & The Annointed One, it ain't even a contest, to me, anyway.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 AM

I have zero problems with any woman who is truly qualified for the position she would wish to hold in higher office. I think Ella Grasso did a fantastic job as governor of Connecticut, and presently M. Jodi Rell is also doing a fine job.

Lower down the totem pole, at work I always enjoyed having women for bosses. Much easier to deal with than men.

With all that in mind, I personally felt McCain didn't need any help hurting his own chances at winning the presidency, but Ms Palin put the nails in his coffin.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

IMHO she did him more harm than good, not that he needed anyone to put the hurt on him. Listened to a couple of her speeches - can you say rabble rouser?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:03 PM

i think adding palin initially helped the campaign, but as the campaign dragged on, i believe she became more of a detriment. i also believe the republicans were licked before they even left the starting gate. a different running mate would not have gained them the white house.

i am not for or against a female holding a position of high power. i'm more worried about whether or not that person is qualified and capable. both sexes can meet those requirements.

but i'm not sure that there are enough other voters who feel that way. a very influential female ran for the democratic nomination against an african-american male. the democrats picked the man. hillary was probably better qualified for the job. did the fact she was a woman play into that? i suspect it did to some degree.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Resident octogenarian

Competent women scare the living s**t out of many men, fortunately I am not one of them because I married a very competent woman. She soloed after 8 hours, has flown gliders, has run her own business with, at one time, 80 employees. Frankly she could do a better job of running the Fed than Greenspan or Bernanke.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Palin

I watched parts of the Republican convention, and it was right up there with watching paint dry. Then I watched Palin's address, didn't think she was ready for prime time, and figured she was going to fall flat on her ass.

Not only did she deliver, she delivered in spades. And her teleprompter was down...she was shooting from the hip. Stick that in yer pipe an' smoke it, Obummer.

She did ignite the conversative base, poor old McCain was dead in the water, kind of like Bob Dole was. Then the media went to work on her.

IMHO, she's quicker on her feet than Obummer, Mclame, and Plugs put together.

Do I want her for POTUS, or XO...not at this time. She's not Thatcher yet. May never be. But she's just as smart as any of 'em, and I like her.

Personally, I'd never make it in national politics. If people treated me like they did her, I'd reach across the desk, grab 'em by the head, and jam my thumbs if their eye sockets.

Chas

PS: As to the initial question, she was a wash. It was the Democrat's year...look who they won with.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I watched parts of the Republican convention, and it was right up there with watching paint dry. Then I watched Palin's address, didn't think she was ready for prime time, and figured she was going to fall flat on her ass.

Not only did she deliver, she delivered in spades. And her teleprompter was down...she was shooting from the hip. Stick that in yer pipe an' smoke it, Obummer.

She did ignite the conversative base, poor old McCain was dead in the water, kind of like Bob Dole was. Then the media went to work on her.

IMHO, she's quicker on her feet than Obummer, Mclame, and Plugs put together.

Do I want her for POTUS, or XO...not at this time. She's not Thatcher yet. May never be. But she's just as smart as any of 'em, and I like her.

Personally, I'd never make it in national politics. If people treated me like they did her, I'd reach across the desk, grab 'em by the head, and jam my thumbs if their eye sockets.

Chas

PS: As to the initial question, she was a wash. It was the Democrat's year...look who they won with.

Listen closer, I have yet to hear her speak to ANY issue in anything other than sweeping generalities. That is why she was embarrassed in all the post convention interviews. She is upset because not understanding issues had never failed her before and by the end of the campaign she had given up on learning issues and decided she knew better and turned to her folksy cuteness instead of trying to learn facts.

The women actually believed that being governor of a state that boarder on Russian and Canada gave her international experience.
This is the same women who had a witch doctor perform a witch repelling ceremony on her.
the same women who though man and dinosaur walked together.
The same women who shocked the McCain camp with her ignorance of basic geography.
The same women who thinks it a wise idea to have her oldest daughter tour the country with her grandchild to warn of the evils of sex using the poor baby as the negative example (that poor kid, he will be aware of this one day) while representing slutty shoes marketed to young teens.
To this day she is unable to manage her staff and feels compelled to have public feuds with 18 year olds and comedians. That type of immaturity in and of itself is enough to discount her of any serious consideration for anything public.

And let's be clear, she is no victim. The press asks hard questions at that level and her lack of KNOWLEDGE is what got her into trouble. Couric would ask her the same question over and over because no answers were being given and what did she finally say? "I'll get back to ya'."
She is blaming the press for her own shortcomings.

What she is good at is rallying the far right base with emotional rhetoric that is void of substance. Thanks but no thanks, I want facts.

Did she help or hurt McCain?
She hurt him.
Why?
Because she did not expand the base, she simply consolidated a group of voters who would have voted for McCain anyway.
At the same time her folksy rambling message caused critical suburban voters in states like Pa go over to Obama. All polls show she was rejected by college educated suburban centrist voters. Personally I lost much respect for McCain as a result of her inclusion.

Let me ask you:
"she's quicker on her feet"
how do you mean this?

"delivered in spades."
What is it she delivered?

"she's just as smart as any of 'em"
How do you arrive at that?