Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
This last snowfall convinced me that I needed some new boots, so I picked up a pair of Red Wings, well-made in America, and a three pack of American-made wool socks to go underneath. In size 13, they look like a small truck.

Regards,

D-Ray
My sympathies, I have been a 13EEE guy since 1968.

Carl
Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM

My coffee is American made usually!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM

U.S. flags at military bases must be 100% American made

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...itary/5725165/
Old 06-07-2015, 08:11 PM

As a musician, specifically a bassist, my main concern is quality. I've mostly played Fender instruments in the thirty some odd years I've been playing. Having said that, I have experienced what a quality US made P-Bass vs say an Indonesian built Ibanez BTB feels. Although the quality of the Ibanez instruments wasn't all that bad, it just didn't feel "right" to me. I currently own two US made Fender basses (American Standard P and fretless J) and I use US made D'Addario strings.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post

Carl
Gunboats
Old 06-07-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
sad that this list is so short.

i'm now 45. i can remember a day if a product said "made in hong kong", i automatically equated it with junk. cheaply manufactured, poorly crafted garbage. i didn't want it. that was a time when "made in the usa" was proudly displayed on the goods that i bought. if i saw the good ole american flag on a product, i equated that with quality manufacture and pride in workmanship.

here's what's up:

because people in other countries are willing to work for much lower pay and no benefits, manufacturers are going to continue to exploit them.

because it is cheaper to buy land and construct factories in other countries, manufacturers are going to continue doing it, there instead of here.

because goods can be produced in other countries free from the constraints of environmental legislation, which is certainly much cheaper, manufacturers are going to continue to pollute them without mercy.

because of free trade agreements, goods can be produced overseas and brought to this country with few penalties such as tariffs, duties, customs fees, etc. good for business, bad for the country.

the combination of these factors and others makes it more profitable to manufacture overseas and ship it here than it is to make it here.

and the average american consumer has little concern for "made in the usa" anymore. i remember watching commercials on tv such as "look for the union lable" that promoted the "buy american" spirit. i don't think a renewed public service promotion would be a bad idea.
"IF" the Fair Tax is implemented, companies will no longer have an incentive to move their operations overseas....no need for cheaper tax loopholes. The US Government will be TOTALLY funded thru sales tax.....companies who have gone overseas will come back....
Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisTAnimal View Post
As a musician, specifically a bassist, my main concern is quality. I've mostly played Fender instruments in the thirty some odd years I've been playing. Having said that, I have experienced what a quality US made P-Bass vs say an Indonesian built Ibanez BTB feels. Although the quality of the Ibanez instruments wasn't all that bad, it just didn't feel "right" to me. I currently own two US made Fender basses (American Standard P and fretless J) and I use US made D'Addario strings.
My son went half American made: A Warwick Corvette and a Peavey six string. He took my Gibson acoustic guitar - and did a helluva lot more with it than I ever did.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
My son went half American made: A Warwick Corvette and a Peavey six string. He took my Gibson acoustic guitar - and did a helluva lot more with it than I ever did.

Regards,

D-Ray
Truth be told, I also own a Samuel Shen SB80 Double Bass. Even though he is a Chinese violin maker, he's been based in Canada, from what I've read. And the quality and sensitivity of the instrument, lends itself well to pizzicato, as well as arco or bowed playing.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post

Carl

Try 15 eee's
Old 01-09-2016, 04:48 PM

Gosh, some of these threads are older than dirt.