Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Might enjoy this...

I've been trying to get a manufacturer to certify that their product meets a certain spec mentioned in their data sheet. It's important, it's for a nuke plant.

This is what I got:

'Dear xxxx,

This letter is to inform you that the Xxxxx Inc product xxxx has been manufactured to our manufacturing specifications and the production lot has been monitored by our internal quality control program on a regular basis during manufacturing.

I trust that you find this information helpful blah blah blah...'

That's it. Not one mention of the spec. And this took two days to get. From a very large company (you'd recognize the name).

Wankers. An engineer, or a lawyer? (no offense D ) I wrote him back:

This letter is to inform you that XXX Xxxxx (my company) does business the way my company does business. We monitor the way we do business to make sure we do business the way we do business.....

Pete
Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
'Dear xxxx,

This letter is to inform you that the Xxxxx Inc product xxxx has been manufactured to our manufacturing specifications and the production lot has been monitored by our internal quality control program on a regular basis during manufacturing.

The manufacturer could have saved a lot of time and bandwidth if they hadn't taken all those words just to say, "No."

John
Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Awesome, ain't it? But it's on our data sheet, because it's on theirs, and I've been doing this a long time (insert wolfish grin here).

Pete
Old 07-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I've been trying to get a manufacturer to certify that their product meets a certain spec mentioned in their data sheet. It's important, it's for a nuke plant.

This is what I got:

'Dear xxxx,

That's it. Not one mention of the spec. And this took two days to get. From a very large company (you'd recognize the name).

Wankers. An engineer, or a lawyer? (no offense D ) I wrote him back:

This letter is to inform you that XXX Xxxxx (my company) does business the way my company does business. We monitor the way we do business to make sure we do business the way we do business.....

Pete
I think you're having too much fun today!!!

Chas
Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Loyal Opposition

I like your response to them, Pete. Wish we had that nodding head.

Take as many shots as you want to against lawyers. I find a lot of management lawyers that love to spend a lot of words saying nothing. OK. there are a lot of lawyers who spend a lot of words saying nothing. When I had a chance, I tried to teach law students the opposite. If you can make your point in as few words as possible, you are much more likely to have your point read, and understood, than if you tried to show how many big words you know and how many different ways you can say the same thing.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I like your response to them, Pete. Wish we had that nodding head.

Take as many shots as you want to against lawyers. I find a lot of management lawyers that love to spend a lot of words saying nothing. OK. there are a lot of lawyers who spend a lot of words saying nothing. When I had a chance, I tried to teach law students the opposite. If you can make your point in as few words as possible, you are much more likely to have your point read, and understood, than if you tried to show how many big words you know and how many different ways you can say the same thing.

Regards,

D-Ray
Very good Don.

I'm a short and simple kind of guy...referring to conversations, of course.

Had I been referring to myself physically and mentally, I would have said short, simple, and fat!!!

Chas
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Very good Don.

I'm a short and simple kind of guy...referring to conversations, of course.

Had I been referring to myself physically and mentally, I would have said short, simple, and fat!!!

Chas
I'll take your short, simple and fat, and raise you with a tall, lazy and fatter.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I'll take your short, simple and fat, and raise you with a tall, lazy and fatter.

Regards,

D-Ray
We need to team up. We'd make a dandy went to shit version of Abott and Costello!!!

Chas
Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Resident octogenarian

My English teacher said anything I write should be like a woman's skirt - long enough to cover the subject but short enough to be interesting.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'm going to remember that one Rob!

D, I do indeed recognize that different kinds of laywers do different things. This was either a CYA corporate laywer or a CYA engineer by committee.

You guys do Abbott and Costello, tape it please

Pete

PS I'm trying not to have as much fun today