Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Persona non grata

Everybody believes they are the good guy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e4fe5143afc6

Quote:
Amaryllis Fox is a writer, a peace activist and a former CIA Clandestine Service officer.

She recently sat down with Al Jazeera’s AJ+ to discuss what she’s learned from working undercover in counterterrorism for nearly a decade.

Her takeaway? Listen to your enemy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnEKEfkdrOU

Last edited by Tom Joad; 06-15-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:09 PM

I saw that the other day. Very good, very insightful.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:34 PM

When it comes to politics it is important to listen to your enemy. They have a history that let them rise to the honorable position of being your dance partner. You are the same to them.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Area Man

Excellent.

And, this is exactly why so many people get so angry when we attempt to solve issues with dialog and, perhaps, smaller defensive actions rather than going directly to massive military actions........

Because without enemies, what have they got?

Can't manufacture and sell massive amounts of arms when they don't get used. Can't rally 'round the flag and cheer on "our boys on the Malabar Front" when the only military actions are being taken by drones.

Some people just have a need to kick ass, throw ticker tape parades and have thousands of flag draped coffins to salute. Clandestine spying, diplomacy and small scale military actions that barely get reported are boring. They come and go and nobody notices or cares. The assumption is that "If I can't turn on my t.v. and get daily reports on battle lines and casualty reports, nothing is being done.".............
Old 06-19-2016, 11:14 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Excellent.

And, this is exactly why so many people get so angry when we attempt to solve issues with dialog and, perhaps, smaller defensive actions rather than going directly to massive military actions........

Because without enemies, what have they got?

Can't manufacture and sell massive amounts of arms when they don't get used. Can't rally 'round the flag and cheer on "our boys on the Malabar Front" when the only military actions are being taken by drones.

Some people just have a need to kick ass, throw ticker tape parades and have thousands of flag draped coffins to salute. Clandestine spying, diplomacy and small scale military actions that barely get reported are boring. They come and go and nobody notices or cares. The assumption is that "If I can't turn on my t.v. and get daily reports on battle lines and casualty reports, nothing is being done.".............
And that is exactly what they have been brainwashed to want to see on their TV. Empathy doesn't sell.