Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 PM

The high school students from San Ramon, most of them are college bound. The parents actively participate in the schools and schooling of the kids. Chances are they will not be voting for whell's heroes.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
So you start a thread on it, knowing full well that you are being divisive. You’re a joke.
I post a news story, and I'm being divisive? That's funny, Chickie.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I post a news story, and I'm being divisive? That's funny, Chickie.
Read your own post, idiot! You just said it was divisive! Geez you’re a moron!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Condemning slaves who chose to seek their freedom by fighting for the British against their slave masters isn't racist? Who knew? Don't you find it a bit ironic that the anthem celebrating the "land of the free
Let's not also forget that the Brits were making slaves of kidnapped American seamen, forcing them into service on British ships. While some read that lyrics as a reference to black slaves, other historians contend that this is more accurately a reference to the seamen who were forced into servitude under the British flag. Since the Star Spangled Banner is, in part, describing activity aboard British ships, this is likely the more relevant context.

I don't read "condemnation" in those lyrics. I simply read a description of what was happening during the battle.

The bottom line is this: Francis Scott Key never specified what the lyrics were in reference to, and you cannot make a definitive determination in context with the other lyrics. So, those who find the lyrics racist are imputing racism and making some pretty broad assumptions about the author of those lyrics.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Read your own post, idiot! You just said it was divisive! Geez you’re a moron!
I said that the actions of some folks - like you maybe - are divisive. Posting a current events news story is not divisive....unless you're being triggered like the snowflake that you seem to be.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I said that the actions of some folks - like you maybe - are divisive. Posting a current events news story is not divisive....unless you're being triggered like the snowflake that you seem to be.
As I said, you’re a joke.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Let's not also forget that the Brits were making slaves of kidnapped American seamen, forcing them into service on British ships. While some read that lyrics as a reference to black slaves, other historians contend that this is more accurately a reference to the seamen who were forced into servitude under the British flag. Since the Star Spangled Banner is, in part, describing activity aboard British ships, this is likely the more relevant context.

I don't read "condemnation" in those lyrics. I simply read a description of what was happening during the battle.

The bottom line is this: Francis Scott Key never specified what the lyrics were in reference to, and you cannot make a definitive determination in context with the other lyrics. So, those who find the lyrics racist are imputing racism and making some pretty broad assumptions about the author of those lyrics.
BS ahistorical rationalization for your feigned outrage over what some California high school kids chose to do. First of all, who cares? Secondly, they're acting on their understanding on the genesis of these lines which is historically more accurate than yours (6,000 slaves earned their freedom fighting for the Brits in the War of 1812).

Gotta call BS on your "alternate facts" as to the genesis of these lines. The British navy "pressed" American merchant sailors into service, not unlike what they did to their own citizens off the streets of Great Britain during time of war. So, they weren't slaves, they were "pressed" men in the parlance of the times . (BTW, the slave trade was already outlawed by Great Britain at the time).

I think what you're seeing are some very bright, educated kids reacting to have an overt racist in the White House. Good for them.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:27 AM
Area Man

Seriously, America the Beautiful would make a great anthem.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
BS ahistorical rationalization for your feigned outrage over what some California high school kids chose to do. First of all, who cares? Secondly, they're acting on their understanding on the genesis of these lines which is historically more accurate than yours (6,000 slaves earned their freedom fighting for the Brits in the War of 1812).

Gotta call BS on your "alternate facts" as to the genesis of these lines. The British navy "pressed" American merchant sailors into service, not unlike what they did to their own citizens off the streets of Great Britain during time of war. So, they weren't slaves, they were "pressed" men in the parlance of the times . (BTW, the slave trade was already outlawed by Great Britain at the time).

I think what you're seeing are some very bright, educated kids reacting to have an overt racist in the White House. Good for them.
You can call bullshit all you want. I could care less. Fact is you could be right, but there is not agreement or concensus that the lyrics are "racist", and Key didn't leave anything behind to tell future generations specifically what his words meant, or didn't mean. They don't agree that Key was referring to slaves fighting for the Brits.

In fact, since Key went aboard the Brit ship during the battle, he could very likely have been inspired by what he saw while aboard that ship. Whether Key used the term "slave" rather than than the term "pressed men" is also immaterial. Writer's choice of words - especially in poetry - isn't always captive to "the parlance of the times".

Your last point above is PURE idiocy. These kids are reacting to an idea that started before Nov 2016. Hate to break it to you - and I'm not sure this statement will penetrate the layers of hate and bullshit that surround you - but not everything in the universe revolves around the current occupant of the White House.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Seriously, America the Beautiful would make a great anthem.
Actually, I don't disagree.

But then some other folks would howl about the mention of God.