Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

After fucking around with Windows 10 for a year I'm done.

I bought this Acer Aspire Switch 10 "2-in-1" netbook/tablet a while back. Pre loaded with Windows 8.1, which sucks donkey. But it was sold as Windows 10 ready and free when rolled out down the road. So after months of waiting and fucking waiting for my name to come up as approved to get the Windows 10 image download, I called Microsoft and actually got a live human on the other end of the line. Nice woman, who said "OK how's about you give me access to your computer and I will load Windows 10 on your device and make sure it's running properly." OK says I. Took about an hour, but it was done. At first I liked Windows 10 much more than 8.1. I has a pretty nice desktop mode, close to XP, but of course no cigar. But again much better than 8.1. I had already given up on using the tablet function of the Acer 2 in 1, or the Microsoft app tiles. The selection of apps was, and IMHO remains pitiful compared with either Apple or Android, and the whole tiles system pretty much sucked anyway.

Pretty soon however...the Windows 10 system began running slower and slower. I had added maybe a half dozen software items Firefox, Chrome, some other basic stuff, that's it. Saved every file to an outboard hard drive, so the equipment is not overloaded. It got to the point of being so agonizingly slow as to be pretty much useless for even simple internet access to things like this forum, getting email, and going on other non-graphics demanding websites. YouTube was fucking impossible. Lots of time spent watching the spinning Microsoft arrow spinning and spinning. So I went out on to the Microsoft Community forums and asked "Why is Windows 10 so fucking slow?" I am apparently not the only one. Hundreds and hundreds of posts to dozens of forums looking for help. The typical help from Microsoft people inhabiting these Community forums is to tell you to make sure your HD isn't overloaded...and then to give you 75 steps to use to change 15 different Windows functions...none of which work for pretty much anybody posting on the forums who actually tried to get through one of these processes as I did. Pretty fuckin' frustrating. So I called Acer and Microsoft about it (the Microsoft agent who loaded the software gave me a direct phone number and said "call anytime if you need help" - pretty amazing, eh?). Guess what, after an hour or so with an agent from each company here's what I got. The Acer agent said, "It's a Windows problem." The Microsoft agent said, "It's an Acer problem.

So the other day I was at the goodwill and sitting there in the locked case was a brand new sealed box Verizon 8" Ellipsis Tablet for 25 bucks. So I said...what the hell...and I bought it. Charged it up...went through the "wi-fi only" set-up. It's fast as lightning. I even found a Logitech folio with bluetooth keyboard designed for use with the Ellipsis 8 so I don't have to fuck around with the annoying virtual on-screen keyboard bullshit.

Highly recommended.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 12-18-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:02 PM

It could be your acer device.
I bought an acer laptop one time and it never worked right.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I have Windows 10 on three computers and haven't experienced any problems at all on any of them. It runs very stable and fast on all three. I'm pretty anal about keeping my computers clean of all detritus by uninstalling all unnecessary bloatware and running CCleaner every couple of weeks. I was having some issues with Firefox until the latest update from them (Firefox Quantum) which was a great improvement on all older versions. The previous versions used to hang up on poorly written Javascript. No longer a problem, thankfully.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Ready

Cleaning detritus necessary. Sort of clearing up my firefox problem--it got stuck churning the disk--involved researching and turning off an obscure Windows service. The new Firefox is better, but still gets unresponsive after a while. Have to kill it and restart.

This on my Win 7 machine. Don't use the Win 10 laptop enough to report.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

The thing is...when I got Microsoft on the phone, I again turned the equipment over to the Microsoft tech who spent at least an hour cleaning up anything that might possibly need cleaning up. Including removal of software I was not using...but again I have not loaded more than a half dozen software items, one of them being firefox. The Microsoft tech finally gave up and blamed it all on Acer, who blamed it all on Microsoft.

Y'know...the other problem I have with Microsoft is that Gates finally learned his lesson from Jobs and has realized that this is not about having good computing products but all about selling shit. So MS is watching every fucking move you make and popping ads up multiple times a day pitching some crap or others. And then there's the Office 365 that we can pay for every month for the rest of our lives. And speaking of that...when I was searching around for help I found a blog that said that anybody who has an original Office 97 disc and the key will find that it works on Windows 10. And by golly, it does. Of course it won't open word or excel docs created on current versions...but it works fine otherwise.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:17 PM

I also have been running 10 for at least six months on two Dell computers. One desk and the other a laptop.
Other then learning the "improvements" over XP and Vista no problems. No reinstall no fresh reboot, runs fast.

Barney