Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=nailer;362443]I remember during my senior year of HS being in the auditorium for some mandatory senior assembly that started with the Star Spangled Banner and most, if not all, of us not standing. At the end I let out a "play ball." Color me unpatriotic. [/QUOTE

I made the very same point earlier in this thread where in the Chicago Stadium, a lot people refused stand up for the national Anthem, and far as I know this did not in any way bother than fans that did stand up.

Trump cannot govern and this is yet another deflection to mask his incompetence.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Which is all the NFL fans / ticket holders were asking for. Glad that there's at least one covert.
Quote:
I AM speaking for myself. I also have observed the displeasure of other fans during the anthem as the players engaged in their idiotic and disrespectful behavior.

Also, why do we need a law to do the right thing and stand up and show respect for the country that gives the NFL players the right to act like idiots? At least we haven't up until now, because there was a tradition in place that - until the left decided to politicize the national anthem - informed folks what behavior was appropriate during the anthem.
Bull shit. Your previous claimed "all the NFL fans/ticket holders" which is in effect speaking for them, NOT for yourself. In fact from the reporting, half the fans could care less. Not sure of the ticket holders though, but I am sure left to Trump, he will want the patriotic fans to teach the rest a lesson.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Then I take it you aren't getting outraged on cue, shouting YES! to the President's calling out the SOBs?
I gave up on this country after the last election. At least until we get some people in office who actually want to fix shit.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Bull shit. Your previous claimed "all the NFL fans/ticket holders" which is in effect speaking for them, NOT for yourself. In fact from the reporting, half the fans could care less. Not sure of the ticket holders though, but I am sure left to Trump, he will want the patriotic fans to teach the rest a lesson.
BS right back at you. You didn't read my post correctly if you're thinking that "all" is referring to 100% of the fans and ticket holders. But it doesn't matter anyway.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ational-anthem

In the letter, Goodell said he wanted to end the controversy by agreeing on a uniform approach for all teams.

"Like many of our fans," Goodell wrote, "we believe that everyone should stand for the national anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us.

Now, if you want to debate about whether this is about "many" fans, "most" fans, "all" fans, "some nebulous subset" of fans, you can go ahead and do that by yourself, because its not relevant.

What's relevant is that the owners, and by extension the NFL Commissioner, want and need a way out of the mess that they and the players have created, because they're quite concerned that this is going to cost them money. And where does that money come from? The fans. And even if "half the fans don't care" as you observe above, that certainly suggests that the other half might, and no business owner wants to put even 1% of his customers at risk, much less 50%.

This mess is hurting the brand, it appears to be connected to lower ratings and lower gate. But it sure as hell isn't something the owners want the public and the media to focus on. Owners would vastly prefer to have the focus on what happens on the field - the PRODUCT - rather than the antics of some players and the mismanagement of those antics by the League.

Last edited by whell; 10-12-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM

I have to wonder why the right has it's panties in a bunch over this silly political correctness when they've had a war against PC for decades and generally hate the very idea of being politically correct. I'd wager many of these same idiots complaining about this, including trump wouldn't hesitate to call these players ni.... well you know what I mean.... yet then they demand they stand for the flag and honor the country that calls them ni...?

Thats what this is really all about. That "patriotism" excuse is just another dog whistle way of calling them uppity.

Take a knee.

Last edited by MrPots; 10-12-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I have to wonder why the right has it's panties in a bunch over this silly political correctness when they've had a war against PC for decades and generally hate the very idea of being politically correct. I'd wager many of these same idiots complaining about this, including trump wouldn't hesitate to call these players ni.... well you know what I mean.... yet then they demand they stand for the flag?

Guess that's what this is really all about huh?

Take a knee.
Yep, that's the size of it, imo.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Area Man

[QUOTE=Rajoo;362444]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
I remember during my senior year of HS being in the auditorium for some mandatory senior assembly that started with the Star Spangled Banner and most, if not all, of us not standing. At the end I let out a "play ball." Color me unpatriotic. [/QUOTE

I made the very same point earlier in this thread where in the Chicago Stadium, a lot people refused stand up for the national Anthem, and far as I know this did not in any way bother than fans that did stand up.

Trump cannot govern and this is yet another deflection to mask his incompetence.
That's because we did not have a president playing the "patriotic correctness" game back then. We had actual choice and freedom of expression in those days.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Area Man

Quote:
I AM speaking for myself. I also have observed the displeasure of other fans during the anthem as the players engaged in their idiotic and disrespectful behavior.

Also, why do we need a law to do the right thing and stand up and show respect for the country that gives the NFL players the right to act like idiots? At least we haven't up until now, because there was a tradition in place that - until the left decided to politicize the national anthem - informed folks what behavior was appropriate during the anthem.
So who told you, you can't stand? No one, that's who. It's called "freedom". Stand all you want, nobody cares. But, stop telling others what to think and do, asshole. You want to live in a country where dictators demand patriotism from people? Fine, move to Russia and get a job shining Putins shoes.

If you conservatives wonder why we think you're ironic and stupid. It's because you are.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Area Man

Hey Mike; Here is how your government controls your thoughts, you order following drone;

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...-just-stifling
Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 PM

Good post Sir. (Cato)

Covers a lot of ground.