Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM

I refuse to compromise personal beliefs that I've held since high school. And that's been a lonnnng time. My very first Presidential ballot was cast for George McGovern...and I have zero interest in changing now. The old saying of "vote your personal interests" is as valid now as it ever was. Why should I get on board with allowing the rich to get richer...at the expense of myself and others of equally modest means?

That's what absolutely baffles me about certain people of lesser socioeconomic strata: How could they possibly support a party that intends to bind them even more firmly into economic slavery?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post

That's what absolutely baffles me about certain people of lesser socioeconomic strata: How could they possibly support a party that intends to bind them even more firmly into economic slavery?
Jesus.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
That's because they are far smarter than mere GOP folks and have a much broader and deeper perspective on just about everything. If you don't believe me, just ask them. That they are a bunch of pompous assholes is just a side issue. The whole concept of forcing people to act in a certain manner is anathema to a free society, regardless whether it is good for the individual, but that is precisely what underlies most of the left's agenda.
And the right doesn't seek to pressure people into "....act(ing) in a certain manner..."?

No offense intended, but....Pay attention.

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
That would depend on the issue.
Hoooooooo, BOY!

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinE View Post
The way things have been going for the past few months.

Indiffinent detention? Government power.
Execution of American citizens without due process? Government power.
Mandatory strip searches? Government power.
Fill the skies with drones? Government power.

Mandate that the masses must have healthcare? HOW DARE THEY! THEY SURE HAVE OVERREACHED THIS TIME.
And I'm against all of those intrusions. The drones are particularly bad IMHO because the technology will become widespread enough that evryone can play in the sandbox.

Government that interferes least and is closest to it constituency is the proper choice in most cases. Large centralized power, particularly centered in bureaucracies, is always dangerous to liberty. Hence, even nominally "good causes" ought be secondary to ensuring smaller more palpable government.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Area Man

What do you do when certain "liberties" are causing very real and very damaging economic problems?

I guess THAT depends on persective and the issue at hand as well?

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
I refuse to compromise personal beliefs that I've held since high school. And that's been a lonnnng time. My very first Presidential ballot was cast for George McGovern...and I have zero interest in changing now. The old saying of "vote your personal interests" is as valid now as it ever was. Why should I get on board with allowing the rich to get richer...at the expense of myself and others of equally modest means?

Because a large number of people in this country are clueless and believe one day they will be rich too. Right after "Dancing With the Stars" is over.

There are a few good members of Congress that do still care about people. Bernie Sanders would be one of them. The rest are nothing more than corporate shills. That includes Republicans and Democrats. It will only get worse with the devastating SCOTUS ruling that makes the influx of corrupt money into super PAC's limitless and anonymous.

We are already seeing the results of that debacle in the Republican primaries where billionaires are openly buying their candidates. I am sure in many ways it is a game to them.

I have decided to start taking a more active role in local politics. You can't get anything done babbling about politics on a list server. I will post my journey into the wild world of politics as things develop. The local folks get to choose who runs for Congress. I intend to be one of those people. Don't expect someone else is going to do it for you.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So what is the alternative? A party dedicated to making the rich richer, and the poor poorer?
Being relatively new here I guess I'm not really privy to your (and that of some others) clarification of your stance on capitalism and free markets.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
Because a large number of people in this country are clueless and believe one day they will be rich too. Right after "Dancing With the Stars" is over.

There are a few good members of Congress that do still care about people. Bernie Sanders would be one of them. The rest are nothing more than corporate shills. That includes Republicans and Democrats. It will only get worse with the devastating SCOTUS ruling that makes the influx of corrupt money into super PAC's limitless and anonymous.

We are already seeing the results of that debacle in the Republican primaries where billionaires are openly buying their candidates. I am sure in many ways it is a game to them.

I have decided to start taking a more active role in local politics. You can't get anything done babbling about politics on a list server. I will post my journey into the wild world of politics as things develop. The local folks get to choose who runs for Congress. I intend to be one of those people. Don't expect someone else is going to do it for you.
Awesome.

If I wasn't such a hermit I would do the same. I've thought about it. But, I hate crowds, so.......................

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
First black man to occupy the WhiteHouse (and boy does that grate on some arses).
I can tell you that I do know some black men and women who, due primarily to this president's critical want of integrity, find the reality that Obama will be the person to represent that milestone in history to be a rather embarrassing bit of misfortune.