Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2017, 04:27 PM

How does a president get impeached?

This is an excellent and fairly quick read

http://www.crf-usa.org/impeachment/h...demeanors.html

The president can be impeached for treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors

An excerpt
The convention adopted “high crimes and misdemeanors” with little discussion. Most of the framers knew the phrase well. Since 1386, the English parliament had used “high crimes and misdemeanors” as one of the grounds to impeach officials of the crown. Officials accused of “high crimes and misdemeanors” were accused of offenses as varied as misappropriating government funds, appointing unfit subordinates, not prosecuting cases, not spending money allocated by Parliament, promoting themselves ahead of more deserving candidates, threatening a grand jury, disobeying an order from Parliament, arresting a man to keep him from running for Parliament, losing a ship by neglecting to moor it, helping “suppress petitions to the King to call a Parliament,” granting warrants without cause, and bribery. Some of these charges were crimes. Others were not. The one common denominator in all these accusations was that the official had somehow abused the power of his office and was unfit to serve.

After the Constitutional Convention, the Constitution had to be ratified by the states. Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay wrote a series of essays, known as the Federalist Papers, urging support of the Constitution. In Federalist No. 65, Hamilton explained impeachment. He defined impeachable offenses as “those offences which proceed from the misconduct of public men, or in other words from the abuse or violation of some public trust. They are of a nature which may with peculiar propriety be denominated political, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself.”

Later in the article it quotes President ford as saying the Senate can impeach the the individual for any reason it see fit. Obviously there would have to be a reason, but the senat has the sole authority to do so as it sees fit.

I just thought this was interesting enough with our squawking POTUS to post.
My opinion of Trump. "The only reason I think he is smarter than a rock is because he can grow hair."

Last edited by JCricket; 03-06-2017 at 04:40 PM.