Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Jigsawed

Damn! 1 hour and half!

Hope everything comes back pretty!

I have a real dread of those machines.

I am probably into too much science fiction.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I was at work once and Diana said she needed a person to lay in the MRI machine for 10 minutes so she could calibrate the ring.

As an imaging professional (lol) I would sort of dismiss the claustrophobia complaints I would hear about the MRI.

I laid in that tube for 10 minutes...it was the longest 10 minutes in my life. That thing really is scary...you are just crammed up in it too far for comfort. It is easy to get the feeling you are going to suffocate. Plus you cannot move either.

45 minutes must have seemed like an eternity.
I've crawled under a few houses doing plumbing where the space was so confining that I began to suffer claustrophobia. Once you get in there and you can't really get back out, it starts messing with your brain.

Fortunately, I always had a helper who could grab me by the heels and drag me back out.

Panic is a strange thing. I'll start getting buggy whenever I'm wedged under a house where I'm safe, but I can be sliding off of the road on a hairpin corner at 100 MPH and that doesn't really bother me at all.

Chas
Old 11-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Ready

A jillion years ago I did what they called the 'wild cave trip' at Mammoth Cave. This is where a dozen or so people are given helmets, kneepads, and a guide takes them through 'natural' passages, including quite small ones. I was fine with crawling through the three foot passage, but the way out at the end involved getting through maybe 5 feet of very tight squeeze, sort of up and down S shaped. I got into the middle of that and got stuck--couldn't move anything except fingers and toes. Suddenly, it was panic city. I didn't quite lose it, but i was swearing very strange oaths and feeling very freaky indeed. Others pushed and pulled and I got through, whole thing might have taken a minute tops. Felt like a bad hour.

You never know just where your limits are until you hit them.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I was at work once and Diana said she needed a person to lay in the MRI machine for 10 minutes so she could calibrate the ring.

As an imaging professional (lol) I would sort of dismiss the claustrophobia complaints I would hear about the MRI.

I laid in that tube for 10 minutes...it was the longest 10 minutes in my life. That thing really is scary...you are just crammed up in it too far for comfort. It is easy to get the feeling you are going to suffocate. Plus you cannot move either.

45 minutes must have seemed like an eternity.
Fortunately, technology has advanced. The second try, they used what is called an Open MRI machine. Instead of a tube, it is more like a sandwich. Although everything was close, nothing was pressing down on me. Unfortunately, I'm bigger than I should be, and when they shoved me into the tube on Monday, my arms were pressing against my diaphragm. I knew after 20 seconds that I wasn't going to make it through the whole test. The flip side of using the open machine is that it takes more than twice as long. The test in the tube would have been 40 minutes. This one went a little longer than 90 minutes. I can guarantee, though, that it was worth the trade off. Even with the open sides, I needed the Valium to have that thing sitting a few inches over me.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm confident that there will be nothing worse that having to start a course of treatment for glaucoma, if that. Now if Kansas would only pass that medical marijuana law.

BTW, it was a good game. On my way back from Manhattan my friend and I were discussing that this had been a bit of a disappointing season for the Sooners, but we realized that we are 9-2.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Admin

There's a dude in Gardner that I know....
Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

I enjoyed getting my left knee scanned so very much that when I tore the meniscus in the right knee I really thought about what I had gone through. At the end of it all the speci@list said does it hurt. I said hell no the pain was five days ago when I tore it. So then he said fine it will heal. So I stayed home and it has healed, even the Baker's cyst went away.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I enjoyed getting my left knee scanned so very much that when I tore the meniscus in the right knee I really thought about what I had gone through. At the end of it all the speci@list said does it hurt. I said hell no the pain was five days ago when I tore it. So then he said fine it will heal. So I stayed home and it has healed, even the Baker's cyst went away.
You should be more careful Gramps, you're not a spring chicken anymore!!!

I shall toast your recovery. Hell, I've toasted pretty much everything else.

Chas
Old 11-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Fortunately, technology has advanced. The second try, they used what is called an Open MRI machine. Instead of a tube, it is more like a sandwich. Although everything was close, nothing was pressing down on me. Unfortunately, I'm bigger than I should be, and when they shoved me into the tube on Monday, my arms were pressing against my diaphragm. I knew after 20 seconds that I wasn't going to make it through the whole test. The flip side of using the open machine is that it takes more than twice as long. The test in the tube would have been 40 minutes. This one went a little longer than 90 minutes. I can guarantee, though, that it was worth the trade off. Even with the open sides, I needed the Valium to have that thing sitting a few inches over me.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm confident that there will be nothing worse that having to start a course of treatment for glaucoma, if that. Now if Kansas would only pass that medical marijuana law.

BTW, it was a good game. On my way back from Manhattan my friend and I were discussing that this had been a bit of a disappointing season for the Sooners, but we realized that we are 9-2.

Regards,

D-Ray
You don't need that damn whacky tobaccy.

Just go down to the dollar store and buy a pair of Magoo glasses. That's what I did.

Chas
Old 11-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You should be more careful Gramps, you're not a spring chicken anymore!!!

I shall toast your recovery. Hell, I've toasted pretty much everything else.

Chas
Yep, 83 in a few more days,since I have no idea how much time I have left I really don't want to waste it in some *&^^%%$ hospital waiting room or listening to that Rube Goldberg MRI machine - or is anyone else here old enough to remember Rube?

The odd thing is that I took out the left one planting flower bulbs in May.

Speaking of toasts my bride suggested Martinis tonight and I said fine by me.

Some of the widow Cliquot's bubbly cooling for me b'day.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-25-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Yep, 83 in a few more days,since I have no idea how much time I have left I really don't want to waste it in some *&^^%%$ hospital waiting room or listening to that Rube Goldberg MRI machine - or is anyone else here old enough to remember Rube?

The odd thing is that I took out the left one planting flower buls in May.

Speaking of toasts my bride suggested Martinis tonight and I said fine by me.

Some of the widow Cliquot's bubbly cooling for me b'day.
I remember Rube. He invented things that worked.

And I be wishing you a fine birthday indeed, my good man.

Chas