Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Wonder how companies like Comcast get away with this. Last Saturday, I was asked by Comcast to replace our modem or else, so got on chat and was put on hold for 40+minutes. When they came back, I was asked to hook up the new modem and guess what? Got dropped out on chat because the new modem would not work. I then called their customer service, waited another hour and eventually got the installation sorted out. Of course, nothing wrong with the modem I had purchased. Just that they did not configure the modem for internet access the first time. So a total of two hours, cost of a new modem and then they want a feedback.
Comcast sent me one of their new wireless modem/routers- nothing but problems. So I bought a D-link Modem and a router took out theirs and installed my own. Also got them to take off the $7 monthly charge for their modem. Can't recall the name of the one they sent us, well knowm brand but you could access it with te IPv6 address to setup the internals. The D-link on the other hand was a piece of cake and has given us no problems.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Comcast sent us a letter stating that our current modem will not support their service past Dec. 2. We already owned the prior modem and so I bought a new Cisco modem from Comcast's authorized list.

The LAN output on the modem had no connectivity initially and the support lady on the phone had the modem reconfigured in a couple of minutes once she knew what the problem was. But two hours of my time dealing with their support does test my patience, especially having to answer the same "security" questions over and over. Worst is all the marketing hype during the menu selection process. My phone does not have a STFU button.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Comcast sent us a letter stating that our current modem will not support their service past Dec. 2. We already owned the prior modem and so I bought a new Cisco modem from Comcast's authorized list.

The LAN output on the modem had no connectivity initially and the support lady on the phone had the modem reconfigured in a couple of minutes once she knew what the problem was. But two hours of my time dealing with their support does test my patience, especially having to answer the same "security" questions over and over. Worst is all the marketing hype during the menu selection process. My phone does not have a STFU button.
Now there is a neat idea for answering systems - to STFU press the pound sign.

Since I installed it myself there was no need to Chat. I misspoke earlier the Router is D-Link it is a Zoom modem with the absolute latest DOCSIS spec.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-16-2013 at 03:38 PM.