Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Cash for clunkers

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...clunkers_N.htm When the hell will these assholes stop trying to spend our tax dollars on stupid crap. I know the answer. Never !
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 AM

Cash for clunkers

Won't work for us, as we've never bought a new auto. Bought a few program cars for my wife, at app 1 yr old and app 24k miles, they are discounted more than any $4,500. And this program will discount them even further.

Personally, I see this program as a tax break for the wealthy, and an attempt to lure the poor into debt.

Chas
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 AM

So the energy wasted to "destroy" all those older engines and trannies doesn't count right?

I once wanted to buy a car under the guise of better gas mileage. My dad sat me down and we ran the numbers. I couldn't make the extra couple of MPG pay the new car payments. Guess what, I still buy used, pay cash, and don't have that $4-500.00 payment looming over my head.

This is just another helping hand for the auto industry although at the same time it's hurting them by stalling sales now and artificially creating demand.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 PM

well the benefits sound great, but overall, it's a really dumb idea. while it may increase sales of new cars, it will decrease sales of used cars in equal proportion, not to mention parts sales. and to scrap the engine and transmission? ludicrous. the idea is so dumb, i'm sure it will pass.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
When the hell will these assholes stop trying to spend our tax dollars on stupid crap.
rhetorical question!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Administrator

More like wishful thinking.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Coming from the dealer end of things, dealers are still mostly clueless about how this works.

First off, dealers are not automatically enrolled in the program, they have to register with the government to be able to take advantage of this.

Second, what do you do with the cars? My suggestion at my dealership was to bid out the purchase price of each vehicle across the board and get a certain dollar amount for each car regardless of what it is, but we're not sure if we're allowed to make any money on the disposal of said units, or if any monies gleaned from the cars would end up reducing the amount of money coming from the government in voucher form.

Funny how the bill's been enacted, yet the very industry that it's designed to help is virtually in the dark as to how it operates. Salespeople at many dealerships have people lined up to call back once the plan was enacted, but as of Thursday I don't know that any cars had been sold because of it.

This plan was enacted to get those that save and are frugal to spend. To get a new car, your credit score better be in the mid 700's as a minimum.....in fact I know that banks are turning people down in the low 700s. That percentage of the population is decreasing daily with layoffs and foreclosures. Since it takes a similar credit score to buy used versus new, if the plan is successful, used car values will plummet like a rock, and most will end up buying $12,000 sausage cans.

It's going to be interesting to see how many people rush right out to showrooms to buy, and what they're actually buying with the (money).
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=atGyvjeWv3wg

Seems they finally figured out what to do with the cars.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 PM

Typical Gummint Clusterf..Well, y'all know what I mean...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Administrator

I saw the first vehicle that came in here under the bill this morning. It had a "CASH FOR CLUNKERS VEHICLE" paper sitting on the windshield.

Looks to be an early 90's Chevy conversion van. Me thinks that it may go to the boneyard missing a few parts here and there