Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Ready

John Oliver's effort, previously, came up with a priceless graphic to illustrate 'inadequate coverage....'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGpriv2TAc
Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 PM

I think the Democrats should goad the GOP into repealing Obamacare. That would foment a battle between the conservatives and Trump/Ryan limited partnership. Hopefully Trump will Twitter his feelings on the topic.

Eventually they should listen to reason and begin to fix Obamacare. Guess a guy can dream. Nominating Bernie was a dream too.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:32 AM

The only "death panel" is the Republican party.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:17 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I think the Democrats should goad the GOP into repealing Obamacare. That would foment a battle between the conservatives and Trump/Ryan limited partnership. Hopefully Trump will Twitter his feelings on the topic.

Eventually they should listen to reason and begin to fix Obamacare. Guess a guy can dream. Nominating Bernie was a dream too.
Raj I am still laughing over a piece in the Post that referred to Ryan as the intellectual leader of the GOP. Say what? I read Atlas Shrugged at seventeen and knew even at that tender age it was a crock, but it is Ryan's Bible. If he is what passes for an intellectual here we are in big trouble.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Which would mean fewer nursing jobs too.
Poor people with no insurance still use emergency rooms for their doctor, but they cannot pay.

Nurses are mainly hourly workers and are focused on providing direct care to patients. They generally do not need to focus on profit, expenses, or revenue streams until they get quite high in management. During periods of low census with beds not filled, nurses get sent home.

Having many, many relatives on both the doctor and nurse side, the nurses almost always are advocating for universal health care because they want people to have proper basic medical care.

The doctors are torn between their oath to promote the health and welfare of their patients, the desire to make lots of money(or more money,) and the universal scorn that their money making ability, the rates they charge, and their independent ability to practice are limited on all sides by insurance companies, the government, and the advent of UHC or single payer.

This trifecta of concerns drives doctors to be Republican in nature.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Raj I am still laughing over a piece in the Post that referred to Ryan as the intellectual leader of the GOP. Say what? I read Atlas Shrugged at seventeen and knew even at that tender age it was a crock, but it is Ryan's Bible. If he is what passes for an intellectual here we are in big trouble.
I too read that book about the same age, maybe a bit later after I entered college. At that time I was an avowed soshulist, maybe even a borderline communist.

I do believe that Ryan and Pence are two scary dudes.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
I too read that book about the same age, maybe a bit later after I entered college. At that time I was an avowed soshulist, maybe even a borderline communist.

You too? Ryan panders to the wealthy and holds poor folks in disdain, I think he figures that the way to abolish poverty is to starve them all to death. Pence seems to believe in that Old Testament command 'wives submit yourselves to your husbands'. He views women as property. Makes me think of Florence's late husband (she was a widow when we met) he always said she was his proudest possession, sheesh! The minister was told that the words 'serve and obey' were not even to be thought at our wedding let alone mentioned. There is an old saying - God did not take woman from man's forehead that he should command her, neither from his foot that she should be his slave, but rather from his side that she should be close to his heart. She always was.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
Poor people with no insurance still use emergency rooms for their doctor, but they cannot pay.

Nurses are mainly hourly workers and are focused on providing direct care to patients. They generally do not need to focus on profit, expenses, or revenue streams until they get quite high in management. During periods of low census with beds not filled, nurses get sent home.

Having many, many relatives on both the doctor and nurse side, the nurses almost always are advocating for universal health care because they want people to have proper basic medical care.

The doctors are torn between their oath to promote the health and welfare of their patients, the desire to make lots of money(or more money,) and the universal scorn that their money making ability, the rates they charge, and their independent ability to practice are limited on all sides by insurance companies, the government, and the advent of UHC or single payer.

This trifecta of concerns drives doctors to be Republican in nature.
At my old civilian x-ray job they called it flexing. If it was slow they would want to send someone home early so the Hospital saved on paying wages. If it was busy they would want you to work an unscheduled overtime. Anyway if they sent you home early you would be losing out on money to pay the mortgage, and the only recourse would be for you to not get paid or use PTO to make up the difference. So they were screwing workers out of vacation time as well.

Most for profit hospitals want to game the system when it comes to paying their staff (I am not talking about doctors either). I would rather work a steady 40 hours a week with good pay at an adequately staffed hospital than get paid a higher wage but get bounced around like a basketball doing on call because the hospital is too cheap to adequately staff all shifts.

You would be surprised at how some hospitals treat their employees not too differently than fast food workers. Sure they might pay $30-40 bucks an hour but they pull a lot of BS to screw workers out of decent hours and benefits. My experience working in a for profit non-union hospital in the West. I have heard that the East Coast hospitals are better because more are union.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:

Republicans are the party of the scary dude.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Another thing the do is hire workers as per diem (casual relief) that are only supposed to work a shift or two a pay period. Say a weekend warrior who doesn't get benefits because he or she is not even full time.

Then they work that person almost 40 hours a week but never offer them full time with benefits.
Of course if you need the benefits it sucks because to get your foot in the door you usually have to be per diem in the first place before they consider you for full-time, and in a saturated employment market that is very easy to do. In other words a person starts to work near 40 hours a week for a year before they become full time. Ok if you don't need insurance but not if you do.